Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/11/07 20:28:39 UTC

Restoring project web sites

Nicola Ken,

>From Geronimo:

> I remember when the Geronimo project had a web site at Apache.
> What are the chances that we're going to get that thing back
> up and running before ApacheCon?

> If, for example, we stirred up a lot of attention to the project
> at the Con, I can imagine the frustration of the users coming to
> the ASF site and finding a template page explaining nothing of
> the project and linking to none of its resources.

One of the things that happened when we updated the main incubator site is
that it blew away the project site(s).  What do we want to tell a project to
do about its site.  How should Geronimo link a project site into what is now
their STATUS page?

Obviously, they can just "do it", but is there a normative approach that you
want them to take?

	--- Noel

Re: Restoring project web sites

Posted by "n. alex rupp" <ru...@umn.edu>.
Thank you very much for your help here, Noel.  I'm sure we'll get the site up in
short order.
--
N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> I have also posted detailed instructions to the geronimo list
> describing how to get the geronimo site built and committed

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=geronimo-dev@incubator.a
pache.org&msgNo=4475

> I maintain that its best if the geronimo people manage their
> own site

Agreed.  For some reason they must have missed your note in the volume of
e-mail because they've been complaining off-and-on about the lack of a site.
One guy was starting to offering to host the Geronimo site (and advertising
his hosting services at the same time).

Mind you, I've asked the question ever since Nicola Ken did the change, and
I'd missed your instructions until I looked in the CVS today.  :-\

In any event, let's hope that they notice the instructions this time.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
I have also posted detailed instructions to the geronimo list
describing how to get the geronimo site built and committed in
the appropriate location:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org&msgNo=4475

None of the committers felt like answering at the time :/

I maintain that its best if the geronimo people manage their
own site...someone should nag the appropriate people to do the
appropriate things ;)

- Leo

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org>.
> One of the things that happened when we updated the main incubator
> site is
> that it blew away the project site(s).  What do we want to tell a
> project to
> do about its site.  How should Geronimo link a project site into what
> is now
> their STATUS page?
>
> Obviously, they can just "do it", but is there a normative approach
> that you
> want them to take?

Figure out how it can be done and just do it.  That will be the
normative
approach until we figure out a better one.  Anyone working on an
incubated
project who asks for karma on the incubator site will get it as soon as
I get a chance to edit avail.  In most cases, they already have karma.

In the mean time, we need to set some ground rules: it is only okay to
update the site if the result does not lose information that was
available prior to the update, unless that information is no longer
applicable.

....Roy