Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net> on 2015/01/08 21:14:23 UTC

bundle-plugin: excludeDependencies makes imports less useful

Hello,

while debugging the reason for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-498 (or actually the reason
why Import-Package statements generated do not observe optional=true I
noticed that this is caused by

  <excludeDependencies>true</excludeDependencies>

(which is the default in Apache Commons parent POM).

So the import generated with excludeDependencies=true is:

Import-Package:
 com.jcraft.jsch,javax.crypto,
 org.apache.commons.collections4.map

When I modify the configuration, the generated manifest looks better.
For most packages a version range is now kown, and it can also know
which one are from optional dependencies:

Import-Package:
 com.jcraft.jsch;resolution:=optional,javax.crypto,
 org.apache.commons.collections4.map;version="[4.0,5)";resolution:=optional

I guess this is the expected behavior of Bnd as it does not know
anything about those dependencies if they are supressed. However it
should maybe be added to the Mojo documentation and to the overview
documentation (the manifest goal does not even mention that it supports
this configuration property).

I am not sure what the reason for this exclude in commons-parent is,
anybody has an idea?

Gruss
Bernd