Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Cyril Bouteille <Cy...@yahoo.com> on 2000/11/10 18:22:13 UTC

env-entry in web.xml file cause error message @ startup

Hi,

When I add the following entries in my web.xml file:
  <env-entry>
    <env-entry-name>jndi.context.factory</env-entry-name>
    <!-- set class name of JNDI context factory on the application
server -->

<env-entry-value>weblogic.jndi.WLInitialContextFactory</env-entry-value>
    <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
  </env-entry>
  <env-entry>
    <env-entry-name>jndi.provider.url</env-entry-name>
    <!-- set list of application server URL for JNDI context requests
-->
    <env-entry-value>t3://localhost:7001</env-entry-value>
    <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
  </env-entry>

Tomcat generates the following error messages @ startup:
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in
Ctx(,/home/cyril/p4/hotwire/2.0/webapp) CLASS class
org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in
Ctx(,/home/cyril/p4/hotwire/2.0/webapp) CLASS class
org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in
Ctx(,/home/cyril/p4/hotwire/2.0/webapp) CLASS class
org.apache.tomcat.core.Context
XmlMapper: Can't find method addTaglib in
Ctx(,/home/cyril/p4/hotwire/2.0/webapp) CLASS class
org.apache.tomcat.core.Context

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem is?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: env-entry in web.xml file cause error message @ startup

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Cyril Bouteille wrote:

> Craig,
>
> > > When I add the following entries in my web.xml file:
> > >   <env-entry>
> > Which version of Tomcat is giving you these errors?
> > I just tried it with
> > the most recent 3.2 code (3.2b6 plus a bunch of patches), and it seems to
> > work fine.
>
> Yes, I use 3.1. When is the final release of 3.2 expected?

I'm planning to build a "beta 7" this afternoon, unless there are outstanding
problems that should really be fixed first.  If no critical bugs in beta 7 are
found, I will propose it to the TOMCAT-DEV list as the release candidate for 3.2
final.

> > Of course, Tomcat 3.2 itself does not support the JNDI initial context
> > necessary to look up <env-entry>, <resource-ref>, or <ejb-ref> type
> > information.  But it should not generate error messages if they are included
> > in the web.xml file.
>
> Could I still look up JNDI entries on a WebLogic app server using these
> values? Or would I need also another JNDI local server with Tomcat just
> to get the parameters to connect to the app server one?

You would need to run under a servlet container that supports this (such as
WebLogic's own), rather than Tomcat, to access these values using the technique
outlined in the J2EE documentation.  In Tomcat 4.0 we're in the process of adding
support for such initial contexts -- but it's not there in 3.1 or 3.2.

> Thanks,

Craig

Re: env-entry in web.xml file cause error message @ startup

Posted by Cyril Bouteille <Cy...@yahoo.com>.
Craig,

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Cyril Bouteille wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I add the following entries in my web.xml file:
>   <env-entry>
>     <env-entry-name>jndi.context.factory</env-entry-name>
>     <!-- set class name of JNDI context factory on the application
> server -->
>
> <env-entry-value>weblogic.jndi.WLInitialContextFactory</env-entry-value>
>     <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
>   </env-entry>

Which version of Tomcat is giving you these errors?  I just tried it with
the most recent 3.2 code (3.2b6 plus a bunch of patches), and it seems to
work fine.

Of course, Tomcat 3.2 itself does not support the JNDI initial context
necessary to look up <env-entry>, <resource-ref>, or <ejb-ref> type
information.  But it should not generate error messages if they are included
in the web.xml file.

Craig McClanahan