Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com> on 2005/08/26 01:25:18 UTC

new MP_ option MP_LIB_DESTDIR

Hi,

would it be worth while / useful to have another option to install the
MP2 related *.pm/*.so files somewhere outside the PERL lib tree?  In my
thoughts, this would be used in tandem with MP_AP_DESTDIR.

I ask because, when I want to have lots of perl/httpd/mp2 combinations
installed, can threaded vs non threaded installs be installed in the same perl
tree? Of course if it doesn't matter, and I just have to load the corerct
mod_perl.so library, stop reading, and let me. :)

At the moment, to be safe, I use completely different installed bases for each
combo:

i.e.

5.8.7_2.0.54_prefok/httpd
5.8.7_2.0.54_prefok/perl

5.8.7-ithreads_2.0.54_worker/httpd
5.8.7-ithreads_2.0.54_worker/perl

5.9.3-ithreads_2.3.0_worker/httpd
5.9.3-ithreads_2.3.0_worker/perl

I know a lot of it is redundant particullarly the httpd installs, but I'm sure
this way that I don't conflict with things.

With the above flag, I could do, and then in startup.pl, I could
unshift, @INC, "mp2-worker" or "mp2-prefork" as the case may be.

httpd-1.3.33

httpd-2.0.54
   worker
   prefork
httpd-2.3.0
   worker
   prefork

perl-5.8.7
perl-5.8.7-ithreads
perl-5.9.3
perl-5.9.3-ithreads

mp2-worker
mp2-prefork

Thoughts ?

--
END
                 Nothing is impossible.

Consultant / http://p6m7g8.net/Resume/
   http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com
        http://www.liquidation.com
        http://www.uksurplus.com
        http://www.govliquidation.com
        http://www.gowholesale.com

Re: new MP_ option MP_LIB_DESTDIR

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
>> I suppose, in principle, there could be conflicts if one was
>> using a mp2 compiled against one Apache with another Apache;
>> however, couldn't one use the standard MakeMaker PREFIX
>> to install the perl files in a specified location?
>

> That's what we all do at the moment. There is no problem loading .pm/.so
> files no matter what apache they were compiled with.
D'oh good call.

> -0 to this new option.
Agreed.

> Here is how I deal with multiple DSO objects that end up in the same
> apache modules tree. I have a script that does this:
Thanks!

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> would it be worth while / useful to have another option to install the
>> MP2 related *.pm/*.so files somewhere outside the PERL lib tree?  In
>> my thoughts, this would be used in tandem with MP_AP_DESTDIR.
>>
>> I ask because, when I want to have lots of perl/httpd/mp2 combinations
>> installed, can threaded vs non threaded installs be installed in the
>> same perl tree? Of course if it doesn't matter, and I just have to
>> load the corerct mod_perl.so library, stop reading, and let me. :)
>

> I suppose, in principle, there could be conflicts if one was
> using a mp2 compiled against one Apache with another Apache;
> however, couldn't one use the standard MakeMaker PREFIX
> to install the perl files in a specified location?

That's what we all do at the moment. There is no problem loading .pm/.so
files no matter what apache they were compiled with.

-0 to this new option.

Here is how I deal with multiple DSO objects that end up in the same
apache modules tree. I have a script that does this:

#!/bin/sh
make install
base="/home/stas/httpd/prefork"
ver=`ldd $base/modules/mod_perl.so | grep libperl.so | perl -ne
'm|/home/stas/perl/([^/]*)/| && print $1'`
cp $base/modules/mod_perl.so $base/modules/mod_perl-$ver.so

and then in the 3rd party modules test suites, I have something like:

perl-5.8.1-ithread Makefile.PL \
-apxs /home/stas/httpd/prefork/bin/apxs \
-libmodperl mod_perl-5.8.1-ithread.so

For static builds, just append the perl version/args to the httpd binary's
filename.

Re: new MP_ option MP_LIB_DESTDIR

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> Hi,
>
> would it be worth while / useful to have another option to install the
> MP2 related *.pm/*.so files somewhere outside the PERL lib tree?  In my
> thoughts, this would be used in tandem with MP_AP_DESTDIR.
>
> I ask because, when I want to have lots of perl/httpd/mp2 combinations
> installed, can threaded vs non threaded installs be installed in the same
> perl tree? Of course if it doesn't matter, and I just have to load the
> corerct mod_perl.so library, stop reading, and let me. :)

I suppose, in principle, there could be conflicts if one was
using a mp2 compiled against one Apache with another Apache;
however, couldn't one use the standard MakeMaker PREFIX
to install the perl files in a specified location?

--
best regards,
randy