Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Frank Bures <li...@chem.toronto.edu> on 2006/01/05 13:32:55 UTC

SA ignores mail from outside of the domain

Re: SA ignores mail from outside of the domain

Posted by "Gregory P. Ennis" <Po...@PoMec.Net>.
On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 13:36 -0500, Frank Bures wrote:

> My configuration:
>
> Quad Opteron 2GHz with 8GB RAM.
> RHEL 4
> spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4
> procmail-3.22-14
>
> My version of spamd does not recognize option --round-robin

Frank,

Looks like I was not much help.  I have not had any difficulty with
3.0.4, but did have intermittent failures with 3.1.0.  Let's see if any
of the others can help you.

Greg

Re: SA ignores mail from outside of the domain

Posted by Frank Bures <li...@chem.toronto.edu>.

fbures@chem.toronto.edu
http://www.chem.utoronto.ca
PGP public key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=Frank+Bures

Re: SA ignores mail from outside of the domain

Posted by "Gregory P. Ennis" <Po...@PoMec.Net>.
On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 11:31 -0500, Frank Bures wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 09:40:27 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> from
> result
> it
> >> is

> >> I do not have trusted_networks set up at all.  From some machines I am
> >> getting X-Spam headers even if the mail is ham, from some machines
> >> (including external ones) I am not getting X-Spam headers at all even if
> the
> >> messages are obvious spam.
> >>
> >> If I send the test message sample-spam.txt, it does not get scanned at
> all,
> >> but if I feed it into 'spamassassin -D', it works.
> >>
> >> I have basically just
> >>
> >> :0fw
> >>
> >> in $HOME/.procmailrc
> >>
> >> and the procmail is running fine (it has been for years).
> >>

> >> Frank Bures, Dept. of Chemistry, University of Toronto, M5S 3H6
> >
> >Frank,
> >
> >This may not be the problem but you should certainly check
> >your /etc/procmailrc file to make sure the defaults are set up for
> >procmail to direct scanning for spam.  If you only have
> >$HOME/.procmailrc set up for some users and not others  you will have
> >some spam missed without having /etc/procmailrc set up as well.
> >
> >Greg Ennis
>
> I am just testing spamassassing for several test users, who have
> $HOME/.procmailrc and are explicitly excluded from the global
> /etc/procmailrc filtering.

Frank,

This may not help you either, but I did have some intermittent problems
using 3.1.0 on a slow machine with Redhat 8.0.

I have been using spamassassin for over 2 years and have not had any
problems with intermittent filtering until 3.1.0.  I have always used
the /etc/procmailrc file and therefore have not tested it with the
$HOME/.procmailrc features.  Our mail server was ancient hardware (133
MHertz) as well as using Redhat 8.0.  After I upgraded spamassassin to
3.1.0 I had problems with intermittent filtering and had to use the −
−round−robin option.  This option reduced the frequency of the problem,
but it did not solve the problem.  I ended up using a cron script to
restart spamd every 6 hours.  This solved the problem but I did not like
the kludge.  We recently purchased a faster machine and installed Fedora
Core 4 that is packaged with spamassassin 3.04.  I decided not to
upgrade to 3.1.0, and this new combination is working very well.

I still do have a different mail server using Redhat 8.0 and
spamassassin 3.1.0 in service without any problems.  I am not using the
--roundrobin option with it, and it has functioned very well. My
deduction was that I had pushed that little 133 machine father than it
would go.

Hope this helps!

Greg

Re: SA ignores mail from outside of the domain

Posted by Frank Bures <li...@chem.toronto.edu>.

Posted by "Gregory P. Ennis" <Po...@PoMec.Net>.

Posted by Frank Bures <li...@chem.toronto.edu>.

Re: SA ignores mail from outside of the domain

Posted by Frank Bures <li...@chem.toronto.edu>.