Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com> on 2014/02/03 16:59:21 UTC

Any problems with our commit workflow?

Just following up on Jake Farrell's comment over at general@i.a.o [1]:

"As for the Github workflows that are starting to be used, I am not a
proponent of them. These workflows are not ideal as they repositories are
not under any Asf control and infra can not help if there are any issues,
its up to the project to take care of its own. Also with the JClouds and
now Usergrid projects using this flow adds a lot of overhead for
initial contributions as they have in the workflow the requirement to
ensure an ICLA are on file for the contributor. Most committers do not have
access to see the status of this. Also since these projects are not working
directly against the primary repository it is up to them to ensure that
committers are the only ones submitting code to the primary repository and
then syncing that code at some point over to the ASF repositories in order
to make a release."

Personally, I think our GitHub workflow works well for our contributor
base, and I don't feel as they committers suffer from exceptionally
burdensome overhead as a result. As far as I'm aware, we're also
covering all the legal bases that we need to cover.

Still: anyone else see any problems with the current review and commit flow?

ap

[1] http://markmail.org/message/r6w7fmjqjg6guxc3

Re: Any problems with our commit workflow?

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> stated otherwise. From an IP standpoint, I am happy with the level of
> assurance that provides.

Thanks for clarifying, David!

ap

Re: Any problems with our commit workflow?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM, Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We're probably not 100% ideal on the ICLA side - I really, really want
> GitHub to add an ICLA-or-copyright-assignment option to pull requests, so
> that we can make this explicit. But we're not in a bad place here, just not
> quite as clear as I'd like to see.

ICLA isn't needed for most contributions. We don't have any concept of
copyright assignment at the ASF, copyright remains with the original
author. The ASL is pretty explicit that contributions made to the
codebase are assumed to be under the same license unless explicitly
stated otherwise. From an IP standpoint, I am happy with the level of
assurance that provides.

--David

Re: Any problems with our commit workflow?

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> Just answered the incubator thread clarifying our workflow.

Thanks, Ignasi! I see Bertrand responded with a couple of "TODO" items
;-) But overall it looks like our PR process is fine, if I'm reading
him correctly.

ap

Re: Any problems with our commit workflow?

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.