Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Renee Sun <re...@mcafee.com> on 2016/10/06 22:02:25 UTC

solr 5 leaving tomcat, will I be the only one fearing about this?

need some general advises please...

our infra is built with multiple webapps with tomcat ... the scale layer is
archived on top of those webapps which work hand-in-hand with solr admin
APIs / shard queries / commit or optimize / core management etc etc.

While I have not get a chance to actually play with solr 5 yet, just by
imagination, we will be facing some huge changes in our infra to be able to
upgrade to solr 5, yes?

Thanks
Renee

Re: solr 5 leaving tomcat, will I be the only one fearing about this?

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.
Rajesh was right on Renee -- the only big concern might be if that other
code is tightly-coupled to Tomcat or to other things which *must* have
Tomcat.

But it sounds to me as if your multi-lingual processors - if they just work
with Solr/Tomcat - out to "just work" with Solr/Jetty - or work with
minimal tweaking...

Good luck!  Interesting problem!

Posted by Renee Sun <re...@mcafee.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Hazari <ra...@gmail.com>.
Renee,
I dont understand what would be the difficulties of putting your 3rd party
distributions in some contrib folders and
import them in your solr configs and your processors should get loaded
using solr class loader.

we have used our custom based synonym processor putting the jar in contrib
folder and imported in our solrconfig.xml

for ex: <lib dir="./../contrib/analysis-extras/lucene-libs" regex=".*\.jar"
/>
placed our custom jar file in
${solr_home}/contrib/analysis-extras/lucene-libs/ folder.
with solr 4.9 version using jetty.
Before we upgraded from tomcat based solr deployment we used to have our
custom jar file in solr.war/WEB-INF/lib.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, this to give you comfortability
of solr with jetty, which is more preferred deployment.

*Rajesh**.*

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Chegg uses a servlet filter to collect metrics on each request and forward them
to Graphite and New Relic. We can configure that because we have hooks
into the webapp config.

This works with 4.10.4. We haven’t tried it with a later version, but it could
be a blocker for upgrading. Our SLA commitments to internal clients are
based on 95th percentile response times. We need to track those.

We could (should) contribute this, but it would still be an “edit the code”
integration for different metrics systems.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Posted by Wei Zhang <ac...@gmail.com>.
I think it just means they won't officially support deploying war to tomcat
or other container. make sense to me if I was in charge of solr, I would
just support jetty,  predictable with a single configuration.  I wouldn't
want to spent countless hrs supporting various configurations.  Instead use
those hrs to further solr development.  I'm sure someone that has enough
familiarity with tomcat and Java and solr shouldn't have any issue, after
all solr is free but you need to pay for support.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
Although I don't like docker, I do make heavy use of saltstack with jails plus ZFS snapshots to shipping virtual machines around. Docker is mostly just a reinvention of BSD/Solaris jails/zones.

You might prefer docker's own custom dockerfile language and I prefer python with salt. But ultimately it is a lot of workaround for the stupid decisions Solr made by scattering configuration everywhere and forcing us to customise the application itself. But thanks for the confirmation that "this is just the way it is"... I'm really not missing some easy way to do all this.

Ari

On 10/10/16 6:59am, Georg Sorst wrote:
> If you can, switch to Docker (https://hub.docker.com/_/solr/). It's a pain
> to get everything going the right way, but once it's running you get a lot
> of stuff for free:
>
> * Deployment, scaling etc. is all taken care of by the Docker ecosystem
> * Testing is a breeze. Need a clean Solr instance to run your application
> against? It's just one command line away
> * You can version the Dockerfile (Docker build instructions), so you can
> version your whole setup. For example we add our own web app to the Docker
> image (we shouldn't be doing that, I know) and put the resulting images
> into our private Docker repository
>
> Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> schrieb am So., 9. Okt. 2016 um
> 02:14 Uhr:
>
>> On 9/10/16 11:11am, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>>> * deployment is also scattered:
>>>  - Solr platform specific package manager (pkg in FreeBSD in my case,
>> which I've had to write myself since it didn't exist)
>>>  - updating config files above
>>>  - writing custom scripts to push Zookeeper configuration into production
>>>  - creating collections/cores using the API rather than in a config file
>>
>> Oh, and pushing additional jars (like a JDBC adapter) into a special
>> folder. Again, not easily testable or version controlled.
>>

>> Ari
>>

>> --
>> -------------------------->
>> Aristedes Maniatis

-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: solr 5 leaving tomcat, will I be the only one fearing about this?

Posted by Georg Sorst <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Posted by Renee Sun <re...@mcafee.com>.
Thanks John... yes that was the first idea came to our mind, but it will
require doubling our servers (in replica data centers as well etc),
definitely we can't afford the cost.

We have thought of first establishing a small pool of 'hot' servers and use
them to take incoming new index data using upgraded solr version (a relative
much smaller resources pool), meanwhile take one exist server (and its
replicas as well) at one time to upgrade one by one. Although most (99%)
index will happen at the small hot servers pool, but there are still some of
the updates to the 'cold' servers at all time. We will also need to
introduce a write lock down on the impacted servers... with one server at a
time, the scope of impact will be reduced to its minimum...

I am pretty sure we must not be the only one that has to face the re-index
issue with large data set... am I correct? If there is a better approach,
please share...

thanks a lot!

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.
Renee - you have probably already thought of this, but just in case it
helps...  (It helped me a lot several years ago and I hadn't thought of it
at the time...)

If you end up needing to do a big re-index, Production doesn't have to be
affected (assuming you have the hardware/cloud resources). You can reindex
into a non-production environment, test, and when all is well, just point
load balancers at the new Solr environment.  In this scenario your users
would probably not even notice the change unless you tell them...

Of course this does NOT in any way lessen the other stressors you've been
discussing - and - as I said, you probably already thought of it...

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
> For cleaner version control on my system, I create $SOLR_HOME/lib as a
> symlink to another directory that I create myself --
> $INSTALL_DIR/solrlib ... that way, all binary stuff like jars is in the
> *program* version control location, not the *data* location.

That’s right. It is possible to change the location of sharedLib in solr.xml,
but perhaps we should add another location as default too, such as
$INSTALL_DIR/server/solr-lib. And perhaps it should be possible to
add lib dirs with a startup option? -Dsolr.lib.dir=/path/to/libs

Most libs are version sensitive and something you’d want to consider for
upgrade when you upgrade Solr, so they fit better in INSTALL_DIR than in
SOLR_HOME. But there may be other libs that provide some business
logic and fit well in SOLR_HOME/lib.

Jan

Re: solr 5 leaving tomcat, will I be the only one fearing about this?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/10/2016 6:59 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> We also use com.vividsolutions.jts.geom so we need to add this jar
> somewhere. The only places that seem to work are inside the Jetty
> installation because that's where the classloader will find it.
> ${solr.installation.dir}/server/lib or into
> ${solr.installation.dir}/server/solr-webapp/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/

JTS is different than other jars.  If it gets loaded by the Solr
classloader, it doesn't seem to actually work.  Installation of THAT
particular jar is recommended in WEB-INF/lib, so it loads at the same
time as Solr itself.

Pretty much any other extra jar (analysis components, DIH, JDBC driver,
etc) can be placed in $SOLR_HOME/lib and this location will be processed
exactly once during Solr startup, with the jars available to every
core.  No solrconfig.xml <lib> configuration is necessary for jars in
this location to load.  This is the way that I recommend dealing with
jars other than JTS.

For cleaner version control on my system, I create $SOLR_HOME/lib as a
symlink to another directory that I create myself --
$INSTALL_DIR/solrlib ... that way, all binary stuff like jars is in the
*program* version control location, not the *data* location.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: solr 5 leaving tomcat, will I be the only one fearing about this?

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.
For what it's worth / in case it's helpful...

I haven't dealt with JDBC in this context so I can't offer anything useful
there...

You can reference the data in Zookeeper when creating a new collection - so
you don't need to put the configs anywhere on the Solr boxes themselves.

It's not automatic (as far as I know) but the following command line or
HTTP line will do it... (In my case "expath" was the name of the collection
AND the name of the collection's configuration in Zookeeper.)

Note: in my case the solr user owned the files and so I had to use the
following syntax to "run as" solr user...  The command inside the quotes is
the important part.  The -n is what allows you to reference an
already-existing configuration setting "node" in Zookeeper.

sudo su - solr -c "/opt/solr/bin/solr create -c expath -n expath -shards 1
-replicationFactor 2"

For the HTTP line, replace localhost with the ip or hostname of your
running Solr instance

http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE&name=expath&numShards=1&replicationFactor=3&maxShardsPerNode=1&collection.configName=expath

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
Hi Shalin

> [...]

>>  - writing custom scripts to push Zookeeper configuration into production
>>  - creating collections/cores using the API rather than in a config file
>>
>> * unit testing no longer possible since you can't run a mock zookeeper
>> instance
>>
>> * zookeeper is very hard to integrate with deployment processes (salt,
>> puppet, etc) since configuration is no longer a set of version controlled
>> files
>>
>> * you can't change the configuration of one node as a 'soft deployment':
>> the whole cluster needs to be changed at once
>>
>> If we didn't need a less broken replication solution, I'd stay on Solr4
>> forever.
>>

>> I really liked the old war deployment. It bound the solr version and
>> configuration management into our version controlled source repository
>> except for one context.xml file that contained server specific deployment

-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: solr 5 leaving tomcat, will I be the only one fearing about this?

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
As far as configuration is concerned -- everything Solr specific goes to
zookeeper. The solr.xml can also be put into zookeeper. JNDI is not
supported -- can you explain why you need it? Can cluster properties solve

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: solr 5 leaving tomcat, will I be the only one fearing about this?

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/7/2016 5:13 PM, Renee Sun wrote:
> I just read through the following link Shawn shared in his reply:
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/WhyNoWar
>
> While the following statement is true:
>
> "    Supporting a single set of binary bits is FAR easier than worrying
> about what kind of customized environment the user has chosen for their
> deployment. "

One of the historical challenges on this mailing list is that we were
rarely aware of what steps the user had taken to install or start Solr,
and we had to support pretty much any scenario.  Since 5.0, the number
of supported ways to deploy and start Solr is greatly reduced, and those
ways were written by the project, so we tend to have a better
understanding of what is happening when a user starts Solr.  We also
usually know the relative location of the logfiles and Solr's data.

> But it also probably will reduce the flexibility... for example, we tune for
> Scalability at tomcat level, such as its thread pool etc.  I assume the
> standalone Solr (which is still using Jetty underlying) would expose
> sufficient configurable 'knobs' that allow me to turn 'Solr' to meet our
> data work load.

Yes, Jetty's full configuration would be at your disposal.  The
configuration which tends to matter the most -- maxThreads -- has been
pre-tuned to a very large value.  The other settings have been set to
values that work well for the vast majority of Solr installs.

> If we want to minimize the migration work, our existing business logic
> component will remain in tomcat, then the fact that we will have co-exist
> jetty and tomcat deployed in production system is a bit strange... or is it?
>
> Even if I could port our webapps to use Jetty, I assume the way solr is
> embedding Jetty I would be able to integrate at that level, I probably end
> up with 2 Jetty container instances running on same server, correct? It is
> still too early for me to be sure how this will impact our system but I am a
> little worried.

You can take the server/solr-webapp/webapp directory from the download
in 5.3 and later, which contains the same information that used to be in
the .war file, and install it as a webapp into Tomcat.  If you use
something other than "/solr" as the context URL, then the admin UI in
6.0 and later won't work right, but Solr itself (the HTTP API) should
work just fine no matter what the context URL is.

I don't have precise information about how to do this kind of install,
but I know it CAN be done.  The tomcat documentation refers to this as
an "exploded web application" and I think you can deploy such an
application either directly by copying it into the correct directory, or
with a context file.  In the  Jetty that comes with Solr, the exploded
webapp is deployed with a context file.

Unless they use tomcat-specific code, you might also be able to take
your other webapps and install them into the Jetty that comes with
Solr.  The Jetty bits that are included with Solr are identical to a
Jetty package downloaded from eclipse.org, with a few components removed
that Solr doesn't use.

I wrote the "WhyNoWar" wiki page, so any errors that it contains are
most likely mine.  I'm not aware of any errors, but it's possible that
some are there.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: solr 5 leaving tomcat, will I be the only one fearing about this?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/7/2016 10:33 AM, Renee Sun wrote:
> In our production, we have cloud based big data indexing using Solr for many
> years. We have developed lots business related logic/component deployed as
> webapps working seamlessly with solr.
>
> I will give you a simple example, we purchased multi-lingual processors (and
> many other 3rd parties) which we integrated with solr by carefully deploy
> the libraries (e.g.) in the tomcat container so they work together. This
> basically means we have to rewrite all those components to make it work with
> solr 5 or 6.
>
> In my opinion, for those solr users like our company, it will really be
> beneficial if Solr could keep supporting deploying a war and maintain
> parallel support with its new standalone release, although this might be too
> much work?

For right now, Solr is still a webapp.  It is not packaged as a .war
file, but the information that would have been extracted from a .war
file is still there, in exactly the same layout.  It is already
exploded, and the included Jetty accesses it as a webapp directly.  You
should be able to add the exploded webapp to another container like you
would a .war file ... although you are on your own to make it work if
you choose this path.

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/WhyNoWar

Eventually, no idea when, Solr will become a true standalone
application, not a webapp.  It is likely that this will be initially
accomplished by embedding Jetty directly into the code, so internally
Solr will remain much the same ... but after we pass that point, Solr
will be free to evolve considerably.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: solr 5 leaving tomcat, will I be the only one fearing about this?

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
To give an exanmple:

While you earlier would do some thing like

Download and install Tomcat (or some other servlet container)
Setup Tomcat as a service
Download and unpack Solr
Create a SOLR_HOME folder with correct content
copy solr.war into tomcat/webapps
set CATALINA_OPTS=“-Dsolr.solr.home=/path/to/home -Dsolr.x.y=z…. GC-flags etc”
Setup  Tomcat as a service
service tomcat start

You would with 6.x do:

Download Solr and unpack the install-script
solr/bin/install_solr_service solr-6.2.0.tgz  # Install
Tune /etc/default/solr.in.sh to your likings (mem, port, solr-home, Zk etc)
service solr start (or bin/solr start [options])

Your client would talk to Solr on typically http://host.name:8983/solr/ as a standalone server, not as one out of many webapps on 8080.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com