Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by "Casimir, Patrick" <Pa...@moffitt.org> on 2016/11/02 19:21:45 UTC

Using cTakes for Identified Patient Information

I am inquiring about the safety and security of using cTakes for text mining of clinical texts that contain PHI. As an open source, is it safe to use cTakes within a hospital system that must comply to HIPPA regulations?

Thanks

[MOFFITT_2c_RGB for signature]

Patrick Casimir, PhD
Applied Health Informaticist/Data Scientist
Moffitt Cancer Center

12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612 | tel:  813-7454673 | fax:  813-7458332 | email: Patrick.casimir@moffitt.org

This transmission may be confidential or protected from disclosure and is only for review and use by the intended recipient. Access by anyone else is unauthorized. Any unauthorized reader is hereby notified that any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this information, or any act or omission taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately. Thank you.

Re: Using cTakes for Identified Patient Information

Posted by andy mcmurry <mc...@gmail.com>.
+1  Sean and Peter

FWIW: ctakes has been used as a system for HIPAA de-identification,
meaning, removing PHI from clinical text.
So in at least one sense, cTakes can improve an institutions readiness to
use clinical data under HIPAA.

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Peter, Patrick,

From: <Casimir>, Patrick <Pa...@moffitt.org>>