Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net> on 2004/11/06 22:42:43 UTC

Is updating to 3.0.1 really necessary?

I run a single user system.  2.63 is working so well, I'd say I have a
99.99+ rate of catching spam with very, very few FP's or FN's.  I haven't
seen either in weeks.  Running with network tests and SURBL's with a few
rulesets thrown in.  Would there be any advantage at all to upgrading other
than that I'd be running the latest version?

--
Chris
Registered Linux User 283774 http://counter.li.org

Re: Is updating to 3.0.1 really necessary?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 03:42:43PM -0600, Chris wrote:
> I run a single user system.  2.63 is working so well, I'd say I have a
> 99.99+ rate of catching spam with very, very few FP's or FN's.  I haven't
> seen either in weeks.  Running with network tests and SURBL's with a few
> rulesets thrown in.  Would there be any advantage at all to upgrading other
> than that I'd be running the latest version?

IMO, if 2.63 is really working for you that well, and you're not looking to
get any of the new features of 3.0, then don't upgrade.

Part of the "if it works don't fix it" category imo. :)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"If God is able to effect physical resurrection of the dead, it seems

Re: Is updating to 3.0.1 really necessary?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 03:50 PM 11/7/2004, Chris wrote:
>1. When running the perl script I use to report spam to DCC, Pyzor and razor
>I see the following:
>debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8de4adc)
>inhibited further callbacks
>What specifically is this telling me?

Nothing useful, unless you're a module developer. You can safely ignore these.

Really all it means is that a plugin claims to have completely handled an
event and no other plugins need to be called to try to handle it. After
all, if an event has been dealt with, checking all the other plugins will
merely waste CPU time.

>2.  Running --lint I get the following:
>warning: score set for non-existent rule FREE_LEADS
>warning: score set for non-existent rule US_DOLLARS_2
>warning: score set for non-existent rule RATWARE_EVAMAIL
>lint: 637 issues detected.  please rerun with debug enabled for more
>information
>
>I'll have to assume that the above shows I have to remove some rules?

Sounds like you had some score over-rides in your local.cf for rules that
are no longer present.

>3.  I assume I have to remove the mail::spamassassin::spamcopuri module?

You only need to remove the .cf file it put in /etc/mail/spamassassin.

Any other links it had to SA will have been obliterated by the upgrade. You
can remove it if you want, but otherwise leaving the module code around is
harmless.

Re: Is updating to 3.0.1 really necessary?

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> 1. When running the perl script I use to report spam to DCC, Pyzor and
razor
> I see the following:
> debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8de4adc)
> inhibited further callbacks
> What specifically is this telling me?

Nothing useful.  That message has been removed from the next release so
people will stop asking about it.  :-)

> 2.  Running --lint I get the following:
> warning: score set for non-existent rule FREE_LEADS
> warning: score set for non-existent rule US_DOLLARS_2
> warning: score set for non-existent rule RATWARE_EVAMAIL

You have some mangled rules or possibly old rules that didn't get cleaned
up.  Or maybe these were score overrides for old SA rules that have gone
away.  You can track those three down and just delete the score lines, since
they aren't doing anything.

> lint: 637 issues detected.  please rerun with debug enabled for more
> information

OUCH!  Did you have a bunch more warnings also, giving hints about what lint
doesn't like?  You will need to figure this one out before things are likely
to work well.

It sounds like you might have a bunch of really old addon rulesets lying
around, and they haven't been clened up for the tighter lint checking on
3.0.  They may also have had problems before, but 2.63 just didn't notice
them.

> I'll have to assume that the above shows I have to remove some rules?

The first part suggests removing three 'score' lines.  The second part needs
more research.

> 3.  I assume I have to remove the mail::spamassassin::spamcopuri module?

Yep.

        Loren

Re: Is updating to 3.0.1 really necessary?

Posted by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net>.
On Saturday 06 November 2004 11:53 pm, Matt Kettler wrote:
> At 03:42 PM 11/6/2004 -0600, Chris wrote:
> >I run a single user system.  2.63 is working so well, I'd say I have a
> >99.99+ rate of catching spam with very, very few FP's or FN's.  I
> > haven't seen either in weeks.  Running with network tests and SURBL's
> > with a few rulesets thrown in.  Would there be any advantage at all to
> > upgrading other than that I'd be running the latest version?
>
> If 2.63 is working well for you, you probably don't need to upgrade to
> 3.01 right away.
>
> However, I would at least upgrade to 2.64 ASAP... 2.63 is vulnerable to a
> DoS attack from being fed a malformed message.

Ok, just upgraded to 3.0.1.  The upgrade seemed to be as easy as falling off
a log using CPAN in webmin, however, as usual, I have a few questions.

1. When running the perl script I use to report spam to DCC, Pyzor and razor
I see the following:
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8de4adc)
inhibited further callbacks
What specifically is this telling me?

2.  Running --lint I get the following:
warning: score set for non-existent rule FREE_LEADS
warning: score set for non-existent rule US_DOLLARS_2
warning: score set for non-existent rule RATWARE_EVAMAIL
lint: 637 issues detected.  please rerun with debug enabled for more
information

I'll have to assume that the above shows I have to remove some rules?

3.  I assume I have to remove the mail::spamassassin::spamcopuri module?

Other than that I'm pretty happy.  I do notice that a bit more memory is
used but I get around that by stopping and restarting spamd every hour.

--
Chris
Registered Linux User 283774 http://counter.li.org
2:33pm up 3 days, 18:58, 3 users, load average: 0.17, 0.32, 0.41
Whatever you may be sure of, be sure of this: that you are dreadfully like
other people.
		-- James Russell Lowell, "My Study Windows"

Re: Is updating to 3.0.1 really necessary?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 03:42 PM 11/6/2004 -0600, Chris wrote:
>I run a single user system.  2.63 is working so well, I'd say I have a
>99.99+ rate of catching spam with very, very few FP's or FN's.  I haven't
>seen either in weeks.  Running with network tests and SURBL's with a few
>rulesets thrown in.  Would there be any advantage at all to upgrading other
>than that I'd be running the latest version?

If 2.63 is working well for you, you probably don't need to upgrade to 3.01
right away.

However, I would at least upgrade to 2.64 ASAP... 2.63 is vulnerable to a
DoS attack from being fed a malformed message.

Nobody should be running 2.63... Nobody.