Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Wallace <pa...@isell.com.au> on 2004/06/24 09:22:59 UTC

jspc

Hello,
    I have compiled my JSPs thus:

jspc -webapp C:\src\site -d C:\src\site\classes -s -l -uriroot
C:\src\site

this builds the Java source files to the specified location, but how
might I deploy them?

What is a typical deployment after a JSP compilation? Compilation of
Java source files, then WAR/JAR? Can I not define the JSP compile to go
under my work directory?

The purpose of my efforts is to try and speed up / make TC less memory
consumptive.

cheers

Paul.

Re: jspc

Posted by Jason Palmatier <co...@yahoo.com>.
Paul,

I just use the -compile option and have jspc do the
compilation from .java to .class for me.  It seems to
work fairly well.  Once all the fully compiled (ie
.class) files are placed in you applications
WEB-INF/classes directory you just need to place the
generated web.xml file in WEB-INF.  There is an option
to create a complete web.xml file that you can place
in WEB-INF or, if you already have a web.xml file you
want to keep, you can have jspc create an xml fragment
that just contains the servlet definitions and
mappings that you then add (in the appropriate place)
to your existing web.xml.  Then just war up you
application directory in the normal way (you can even
delete the jsps once your certain the servlet mappings
are working).
   If you try to put the generated files in your
working directory you won't be able to war them up and
deploy them in the normal "put war file under webapps
directory and tomcat will expand it when it starts"
way.  You'd have to ship a complete tomcat directory
structure with the work directory already filled in
with your compiled jsps.  Does that make sense?

Jason