Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Crain, David B. (LNG-DAY)" <Da...@lexisnexis.com> on 2006/10/02 16:14:12 UTC

I have a couple of questions concerning Xerces and Performance....

1)       What version of the JDK/SDK was used to build the latest
version of Xerces jars. I am referring to the following download site:
http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/xerces-j/

2)       Has anyone ever done a performance test between different
versions of the JDK/SDK, like:

a.       Sun 1.4.2 vs. IBM 1.4.2???

b.       1.4.2 vs. 1.5.0??? (I would assume performance differences
here)

3)       Is there a website where this has been documented???

Dave

David B. Crain
Consultant Software Engineer
Editorial & Conversion Systems
Lexis-Nexis
Phone: 937-865-6800 ext. 56303

Re: I have a couple of questions concerning Xerces and Performance....

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> wrote on 10/02/2006 01:03:48 PM:

> Quoting "Crain, David B. (LNG-DAY)" <Da...@lexisnexis.com>:
> >

> > 1)       What version of the JDK/SDK was used to build the latest
> > version of Xerces jars. I am referring to the following download site:
> > http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/xerces-j/
>
> Did you try looking at the xercesImpl.jar MANIFEST.MF?  It says...
>
> Created-By: 1.3.1 (IBM Corporation)
>
> Not sure about the rest below.  However, I don't think the JDK used to
compile
> the code should have much (any?) effect on performance at runtime.  I
suppose
> newer compilers might optimize the bytecode a little better.  In any
case,
> Xerces is compiled with a lowest-common-denominator JDK so that (I
presume.
> Note I'm not a Xerces project team member, so this is my own $0.02)...
>
> 1. It can run in the earlier JDK's as well as the newer ones.  Setting
the
> "target" and "source" compile options are another way to do this, but
that
> doesn't solve #2...
> 2. Newer API's aren't accidentally introduced.

Right. And sometimes it isn't obvious that you're pulling in newer APIs.
For instance if you're compiling the following on JDK 1.3, a.append(b)
calls StringBuffer.append(Object). On JDK 1.4 that call will be bound to
StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer) instead and you'll get a
NoSuchMethodError if you then try executing it on JDK 1.3.

StringBuffer a = ...;
StringBuffer b = ...;
a.append(b);

There was code like this in the serializer at one time.

> Jake

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: I have a couple of questions concerning Xerces and Performance....

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.