Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2018/02/11 18:39:36 UTC

[DRAFT] Apache Jena and Java9

I thought that some text about the status of Jena and Java9 would be
useful to users@ to state the current state. This could go in the 3.7.0
release notes.

     Andy

DRAFT:: For discussion

-----------------------------
Java8 is the current LTS version of Java and receives security updates.
The next LTS is Java11. [Sched]

[Sched] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

There are different cases for running with Java9:

[1] Run on a Java9 JVM
[2] Build using Java9 JDK, output Java8 classfiles.
[3] Java9 required - language features and runtime library
[4] Java9 modules

[1] at Jena 3.7.0, running with a Java9 platform (except as noted below)
is supported.

[2] at Jena 3.7.0, running maven using Java9 to produce Java8 bytecode
is supported (expect as noted).  We now run a Jenkins job daily to check
this for the main jars.

[3] The project has no current plans to require a Java9 language
runtime. The language requirement is still Java8.

[4] Jena jars can work as automatic modules but Jena itself does not
provide a "modules" version. Proper migration needs all the dependencies
to be modules, and also has implications on the upstream. Contribution
and discussions are welcome!

For discussion and background see

[A] http://blog.joda.org/2017/05/java-se-9-jpms-automatic-modules.html
[B] http://blog.joda.org/2017/04/java-se-9-jpms-module-naming.html

And note: Java 9 is obsolete March 2018, as soon as java10 comes out.
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/10/#Schedule

Notes:

jena-elephas depends on Hadoop that depends on jdk.tools that is not
available in Java9.

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Jena and Java9

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Good idea - too many uses of "module" as well what with maven.

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.