Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de> on 2003/02/01 19:41:35 UTC

Re: Fix for fo:leader

J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Hi,
> I more or less fixed the leader generation causing all sorts of
> problems and specifically #15936.
> Some issues:
> - The state machine detecting line breaks is brittle. It will probably
>   cause problems if leaders are mixed with graphics on the same line
>   I'm again tempted to do something about this.

Did this work with older releases?
If not it isn't really necessary to fix this IMHO.

> - If the source contains whitespace at the end of the text in a block,
>   the last line of the block will have a space appended.
>   Therefore
>     <fo:block text-align-last="justify">Entry <fo:leader
>       leader-pattern="dots"/>32
>     </fo:block>
>   will not be properly right aligned.
>   I have no idea how to get rid of said space. Should we simply
>   recommend to avoid whitespace at the end of blocks if alignment
>   is critical?

As I would like to do the release *soon* we could add this to the
release notes.

Christian

Re: Fix for fo:leader

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Peter B. West wrote:
>         public final static int JUSTIFY = 54;

This indicates a missing break in the JUSTIFY case...
bingo, right! I'm humilated. :-/

J.Pietschmann

Re: Fix for fo:leader

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> - I get a value of 54 for the text align occasionally. I suspect
>   this is "inherit". Does one of the property gurus know what this
>   means offhand?

Joerg,

My initial response - no, but try me with '42'.

Later...

In .../fo/properties/Constants.java from fop-0_20_2-maintain (not built
for a while):

         public final static int INHERIT = 51;

         public final static int INSET = 52;

         public final static int INTEGER_PIXELS = 53;

         public final static int JUSTIFY = 54;

Peter
--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"

Re: Fix for fo:leader

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:

>> Yeah, lets leave that command line stuff alone. btw, what about moving
>> it to CLI in the trunk? I've been thinking about it, it seems to me
>> CLI doesn't support such optional options like our -fo, but the rest
>> looks okay.
>

> Certainly an idea. However, I'd like to have the API proposal in the
> wiki discussed before, the CLI would then have to be rewritten to
> a large part.
Sure. Does it should eb separate wiki or part of Avalonization?

> Is there something like getopts/gengetopts for Java?
Hmm, that's what I meant - not a CLI, but the CLI, part of  Jakarta
Commons, see http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/cli/index.html.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn Technologies, Israel

Re: Fix for fo:leader

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Fix for fo:leader

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.

Re: Fix for fo:leader

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
>> - I want to add the Xalan.bat/.sh
> May be creating -outfo param for fop.bat/sh is better?
Certainly, but this is real work. Even better would be
   fop -xml foo.xml -xsl foo.xsl -fo foo.fo
but this requires even more work (because the FO file is
no longer automatically an input)/

> Or at least name
> that batch in more liberal way, xslt.bat/sh
Has been discussed and rejected (although this is my favorite).

> or even transform.bat/sh (as  XEP has).
Um, a bit long but certainly possible.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Fix for fo:leader

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> - I want to add the Xalan.bat/.sh
May be creating -outfo param for fop.bat/sh is better? Or at least name that
batch in more liberal way, xslt.bat/sh or even transform.bat/sh (as XEP has).

Re: Fix for fo:leader

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Christian Geisert wrote:
>
>>>   problems if leaders are mixed with graphics on the same line
>>
>> Did this work with older releases?
>
> Probably not. There is a potential for line overflows, dropped text and
> missing spaces. IIRC in the current code space before leaders was always
> dropped.
>
>> If not it isn't really necessary to fix this IMHO.
>
> Hmm.

Not that I don't want to see bugs get fixed but I'd rather like to see
us working in HEAD (and get all the things done there)

>> As I would like to do the release *soon* we could add this to the
>> release notes.
>
> Please delay for another day, I'll heve to get rid of an few issues:

Sure.

Christian

Re: Fix for fo:leader

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Christian Geisert wrote:
>>   problems if leaders are mixed with graphics on the same line
> Did this work with older releases?

Probably not. There is a potential for line overflows, dropped text and
missing spaces. IIRC in the current code space before leaders was always
dropped.

> If not it isn't really necessary to fix this IMHO.
Hmm.

> As I would like to do the release *soon* we could add this to the
> release notes.
Please delay for another day, I'll heve to get rid of an few issues:
- Trace statements. This is easy :-)