Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by ajaeger <An...@opentext.com> on 2013/04/25 09:21:01 UTC

Logging configuration in TomEE 1.6.0 with commons-logging and log4j using webapps and ear

Hello,

we need some advice regarding logging configuration in TomEE 1.6.0-Snapshot
20130417 with commons-logging and log4j.
We asked a similar questions in January for TomEE 1.5.1 which were solved
with TomEE 1.5.2.

Meanwhile we moved on to TomEE 1.6.0 and deploy an additional EAR together
with our webapps.
- each application (webapp or ear) should have its own log file
- each application should be configured separately with an application
specific log4j.xml
- some classes are contained in multiple application but should only log in
one application if configured
Multiple webapps:
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar, log4j-1.2.17.jar and log4j.xml are contained in
each <TomEE_HOME>/webapp/HelloWorld/WEB-INF/lib.

Single ear:
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar, log4j-1.2.17.jar and log4j.xml are contained in
each <TomEE_HOME>/apps/HelloWorld/HelloWorld/WEB-INF/lib.

In this configuration the logging for the webapps work like expected, but
the logging for the ear is not initialized.

If we remove commons-logging-1.1.1.jar from <TomEE_HOME>/lib than the
logging for the webapps and the ear works like expected.
But that will break the logging from openJPA.

If we add log4j-1.2.17.jar additionally to commons-logging-1.1.1.jar to
<TomEE_HOME>/lib then the application that is started at last overwrites the
logging for all application.

How must we configure TomEE to support our scenario?
I can provide a small sample that reproduces our issue.

Thanks in advance for your help
Andreas

Re: Logging configuration in TomEE 1.6.0 with commons-logging and log4j using webapps and ear

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

providing a sample will be more clear (at least fo rme ;)

would be great if it could log "this message should have this format {the
message}" or sthg like it to show it doesn't work

PS: do you use use_tccl property of commons logging?

*Romain Manni-Bucau*