Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by nicumarius <ni...@yahoo.com> on 2009/02/25 15:09:50 UTC

how

what should I do to not use port number when writting the address of a page
on the Apache server?

Re: how

Posted by Anurag Kapur <an...@gmail.com>.
As Chuck mentioned, you should have asked your question in a smarter way :)
Anyhow, coming back to your question,

You can use Apache HTTP server and use mod_proxy_http or mod_proxy_ajp
modules to forward all requests on port 80 on apache to port 8080 on tomcat.

Specifically use the ProxyPass directive to achieve what you want. Example:

ProxyPass   /       http://localhost:8080/your-app/

The above directive would forward all requests on the root context on port
80 to be proxied to your-app under tomcat on port 8080.

Read about it in detail here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html

Cheers
Anurag

Anurag Kapur
Associate - Technology,
Sapient Corporation India.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/anuragkapur

RE: how

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: how

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@etf.bg.ac.rs>.
nicumarius wrote:
> what should I do to not use port number when writting the address of a page
> on the Apache server?

Do you want to use:

   http://server.com/app

instead of

   http://server.com:8080/app ?

If this is the case than you need to have a web server (either Apache
HTTPD or Apache Tomcat) listening on port 80 which is default port for
HTTP protocol.

In order to give you more details, I need to know:
1. What is your OS and Tomcat version?
2. Do you have Apache HTTPD installed?

Regards,
Ognjen

Re: not using the port number in the address???

Posted by nicumarius <ni...@yahoo.com>.

David Smith-2 wrote:

> Bind your server to port 80.
>
> nicumarius wrote:
>> what should I do to not use port number when writting the address of a
>> page
>> on the Apache server?
>>

> --David

I have others applications on port 80 and 8080 .I've choosed to use 8081

Re: not using the port number in the address???

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> David Smith wrote:
>> Since you haven't let us know anything about your server setup, we can
>> only suggest very general things.  Port 80 is the well known port for
>> HTTP protocol and the one your browser assumes when you don't type it in
>> the address bar.
>
> By the way, someone playing with Tomcat should know that... that's the
> basis.
> Dont misunderstand me, I dont say he's dumb: I just wonder how could
> someone be in that situation (messing with web server setup and not
> knowing such basical theory).

As Rusty said -- sometimes you just get dropped in the deep end.  The OP
may be an excellent IT professional that's never been asked to work with
web servers before.  I've worked at a couple of startups where I've been
asked to work with stuff I've never seen before.  Google, Wikipedia, and
lists like this one are great for getting up to speed fast.

--David

Re: not using the port number in the address???

Posted by Rusty Wright <ru...@gmail.com>.
Sometimes people people without any swimming lessons get thrown into the deep end of the pool.  Given the economy and layoffs, we'll probably see it more often.

Posted by "Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mi...@lab.vectoris.fr>.

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

Re: not using the port number in the address???

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
nicumarius wrote:

> David Smith-2 wrote:
>
>> Bind your server to port 80.
>>
>> nicumarius wrote:
>>
>>> what should I do to not use port number when writting the address of a
>>> page
>>> on the Apache server?
>>>

>> --David

> I have others applications on port 80 and 8080

Well.. as they say on Mythbusters, "There's your problem".  As I see it,
you have two choices:

1. Proxy your app through one of the existing apps that is bound to port
80 using either standard reverse proxy or mod_jk (assuming the app on 80
is Httpd or IIS).

2. Reconfigure the existing apps to bind to a specific IP and port,
leaving one combination of IP and port 80 available for this one.

Since you haven't let us know anything about your server setup, we can
only suggest very general things.  Port 80 is the well known port for
HTTP protocol and the one your browser assumes when you don't type it in
the address bar.  There's no way I know of  to make it behave differently.

--David

Re: not using the port number in the address???

Posted by nicumarius <ni...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Bind your server to port 80.

nicumarius wrote:
> what should I do to not use port number when writting the address of a page
> on the Apache server?

--David

Re: not using the port number in the address???

Posted by "Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mi...@lab.vectoris.fr>.
nicumarius wrote:
> what should I do to not use port number when writting the address of a page
> on the Apache server?

Make your web server listen to port #80.
It's the default HTTP port.

RE: how

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
in $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml

set your Non-ssl HTTP connector port to 80 e.g.

<Connector port="80" protocol="HTTP/1.1" ...>

Martin
might as well put 'wie' in the subject header
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_explore_022009

Re: how

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: not using the port number in the address???

Posted by Ben Stringer <be...@burbong.com>.
Also, if you have an existing app listening on port 80, and you only
have one IP address to use, you can use Apache httpd name-based virtual
hosts to allow two entirely different apps to both be served from the
same IP:port combination.

For each virtual host, either use mod_jk, or the proxying that Anurag
describes below.

Details for configuring virtual hosts in httpd (v2.2) are here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/

Cheers, Ben

Posted by Anurag Kapur <an...@gmail.com>.