Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch> on 2001/08/01 02:18:06 UTC

JSR47 vs. log4j (take two)

For the latest developments on the JSR47 front you might want to read:

   http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/critique2.html

--
Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch

Re: JSR47 vs. log4j (take two)

Posted by Yuji Kumasaka <ku...@mms.intec.co.jp>.
There is 2 typo.

> The way the two APIs name their componets may vary but otherwise their degree of resemblance is quite scary.
> The way the two APIs name their components may vary but otherwise their degree of resemblance is quite scary.

> My gratitude goes to Jason Hunter for arranging the appropriate commucation channel to Sun.
> My gratitude goes to Jason Hunter for arranging the appropriate communication channel to Sun.

Yuji Kumasaka <ku...@mms.intec.co.jp>

Re: JSR47 vs. log4j (take two)

Posted by Kent Yang <ya...@nosc.mil>.
I am encourage by the latest developments.  However, I wonder why
Sun didn't just specify an interface and allow different logging backends
to be plug-in.  That way developers can decide what implementation
they want to use.  Sun did this with a lot of their APIs (Security, Sockets,
etc...)  Can this be done?  Is there some reason log4j can't be the engine
behind a specified interface?  I am still a newbie with the log4j API (I
know
you can plug in different appenders) but I am no log4j expert and I
don't know enough about the innerds to know whether this is possible
or not.

Mabye someone else can comment?

Kent