Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Ajay Panagariya <ap...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/06 15:58:41 UTC

Problem exporting a plugin and importing it into minimal assembly

Hi,

I'm trying to export a plugin from the full assembly (activemq broker in
this case) and then import it into the minimal assembly of Geronimo. Below
is what I typed into the console and the resulting output. I'm not completly
sure how to debug this (I tried running Geronimo in debug mode and placing
breakpoints in CommandCARInstaller.java (that's where the Installation
FAILED message is generated), but it never stops at those breakpoints. So
then I tried to run deployer.jar in Eclipse's debugger (which I was unable
to get working after spending a significant amount of time trying different
configurations).

$ target/geronimo-tomcat6-minimal-2.0-SNAPSHOT/bin/deploy.bat install-plugin
amq.car
Using GERONIMO_BASE:   C:\g\target\geronimo-tomcat6-minimal-2.0-SNAPSHOT
Using GERONIMO_HOME:   C:\g\target\geronimo-tomcat6-minimal-2.0-SNAPSHOT
Using GERONIMO_TMPDIR: var\temp
Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_12\jre
Checking for status every 1000ms:
Installation FAILED: null

I'm at a loss at why first why it fails, and second why it fails in the way
it does. Below is the geronimo-plugin.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<geronimo-plugin xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/plugins-1.2">
<name>org.apache.geronimo.configs/activemq-broker/2.0-SNAPSHOT/car</name>
<module-id>org.apache.geronimo.configs
/activemq-broker/2.0-SNAPSHOT/car</module-id>
<category>Unknown</category>
<description>Please provide a description</description>
<url></url>
<author></author>
<dependency>org.apache.geronimo.configs/system-database//car</dependency>
<dependency>org.apache.geronimo.modules
/geronimo-activemq/2.0-SNAPSHOT/jar</dependency>
<dependency>org.apache.geronimo.modules
/geronimo-activemq-management/2.0-SNAPSHOT/jar</dependency>
<dependency>org.apache.activemq/activemq-core/4.1.1/jar</dependency>
<dependency>org.apache.activemq
/activeio-core/3.0.0-incubator/jar</dependency>
<dependency>backport-util-concurrent/backport-util-concurrent/2.2/jar</dependency>
<obsoletes>org.apache.geronimo.configs/activemq-broker//car</obsoletes>
</geronimo-plugin>

I was under the impression Geronimo's installation process should find all
the dependencies and handle them during installation. Is this incorrect?

-Ajay

Re: Problem exporting a plugin and importing it into minimal assembly

Posted by Ajay Panagariya <ap...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the info, it worked like a charm.

-Ajay

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Warner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Paul, from my understanding,  a geronimo-plugin.xml has to be manually
created by a user after exporting.  I don't believe the export utility
automatically generates one.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken on this,
though.

Ajay, those source repositories could have also been defined in the
<geronimo-versions> element, if you were so inclined.  This would allow
defining different repositories for different versions of geronimo.  Take a
peak at plugins-1.2.xsd in
modules/geronimo-system/src/main/resources/META-INF/schema for details.

Cheers,

Jason Warner

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.