Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Pilho Kim <ph...@math.soongsil.ac.kr> on 2000/08/10 12:44:05 UTC

about Cache-Control with Tomcat 3.3 dev

Hi, everyone

I know that Cache-Control is a part of HTTP/1.1 spec.
(See
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-06.txt)

But I want to know
whether Tomcat 3.3 dev implements the Cache-Control header of HTTP/1.1 or
not.

With JavaWebServer, the following works fine.

    response.setHeader("Cache-Control", "no-cache");
    response.setHeader("Pragma", "no-cache");

Whenever pressing "Back" or "Forward" button of Internet Explorer,
I can see the newly generated page.

But the same code does not works with Tomcat 3.1, 3.2 beta 2, 3.3 dev.

Is this a bug of Tomcat?

Thanks

Kim

RE: about Cache-Control with Tomcat 3.3 dev

Posted by Rolf Veen <ro...@helide.com>.
Hi (hola).

I'll make a guess, since I cannot confirm this atm (I've the same problem).
When comparing the headers printed by different web servers, I could only
see one difference: the date format, that in the case of Tomcat is in
english, and in others (Jetty, for example) is in the Language Locale
(spanish in my case). When you write Cache-control and Pragma headers, they
are effectively printed to the output, so that is not the problem. Since my
client browsers are IE5-spanish, maybe Explorer is not interpreting
correctly the dates send by Tomcat, besides implementing no-cache
inconsistently.

Rolf.