Posted to fx-dev@ws.apache.org by Richard Wareing <wa...@rewc.com> on 2005/09/29 20:41:08 UTC

Server Side - Sender Encryption Question

Is there a method of having the client request a particular encryption
key be used to encrypt the response data?

What I'm trying to do here is have each web service user submit to us
their public encryption key and use that to encrypt the data back to
them (in conjunction with signing).  In other words, depending on the
particular user that might be using the web service, we would use a
specific public key to encrypt data back to them.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Richard Wareing
Reimer Technology Group

---

RE: Server Side - Sender Encryption Question

Posted by Richard Wareing <wa...@rewc.com>.
Also if you embed the signing public cert in the request doesn't that
mean you can no longer control which clients have access to your web
service?  Since if you don't store it, you can authorize clients via the
fact that their public cert is stored in your keystore or not.

Or is there a better way to control access to your web service?  The
only other way I can think of is running your own CA and ensuring the
client's public cert is signed by your own CA.  Though I can't find docs
on how I can setup my own CA.  If I could do that I think I'd be
comfortable with using the signing public cert to encrypt data back.

Thanks in Advance,

Richard...

WSDoAllSender
> > handler to use the stored client's certificate (the clients public
key)
> > to perform response encryption."
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ash
> >
> > On 9/29/05, *Richard Wareing* <wareing@rewc.com
> > <ma...@rewc.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Is there a method of having the client request a particular
encryption
> > key be used to encrypt the response data?
> >
> > What I'm trying to do here is have each web service user submit to
us
> > their public encryption key and use that to encrypt the data back to
> > them (in conjunction with signing).  In other words, depending on
the
> > particular user that might be using the web service, we would use a
> > specific public key to encrypt data back to them.
> >
> > Is there a way to accomplish this?
> >
> > Richard Wareing
> > Reimer Technology Group
> >

> > ---
> > [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

> > <ma...@ws.apache.org>
> > For additional commands, e-mail: wss4j-dev-help@ws.apache.org
> > <ma...@ws.apache.org>

> ---

---

RE: Server Side - Sender Encryption Question

Posted by Richard Wareing <wa...@rewc.com>.
Also if you embed the signing public cert in the request doesn't that
mean you can no longer control which clients have access to your web
service?  Since if you don't store it, you can authorize clients via the
fact that their public cert is stored in your keystore or not.

Or is there a better way to control access to your web service?  The
only other way I can think of is running your own CA and ensuring the
client's public cert is signed by your own CA.  Though I can't find docs
on how I can setup my own CA.  If I could do that I think I'd be
comfortable with using the signing public cert to encrypt data back.

Thanks in Advance,

Richard...

---

Re: Server Side - Sender Encryption Question

Posted by Werner Dittmann <We...@t-online.de>.
Richard,

Posted by Werner Dittmann <We...@t-online.de>.
Richard,

Posted by Abdul Ashik <ab...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

Check out the WSS4J FAQ:

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/WsFx/wss4jFAQ#many

"To perform response encryption set the encryption user name to
"useReqSigCert". This is a special name that directs the WSDoAllSender
handler to use the stored client's certificate (the clients public key) to

Posted by Abdul Ashik <ab...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

Posted by Richard Wareing <wa...@rewc.com>.
I guess in CA speak, I'm asking whether or not an incoming embedded
client certificates can be checked against a CRL or Certificate
Revocation List, which would be updated periodically from a CA.

Richard...

---

RE: Server Side - Sender Encryption Question

Posted by Richard Wareing <wa...@rewc.com>.
I guess in CA speak, I'm asking whether or not an incoming embedded
client certificates can be checked against a CRL or Certificate
Revocation List, which would be updated periodically from a CA.

Richard...

---

RE: Server Side - Sender Encryption Question

Posted by Richard Wareing <wa...@rewc.com>.
Hi Abhijit,

So I got the signing and encryption working bi-directionally with the
use of my own Certificate Authority (FYI a link on how to do this:
http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/10185/1763/page/1).  Using the method
suggested, I no longer need to store any certificates of the clients,
since I can now check the embedded certificates to make sure they were
signed by my CA.  And at the end of the day I now have a method of
securely authorizing a web service client to access the web service.

My one remaining question is, say I know wish to revoke access to the
web service.  Other than waiting for the web service client's signed
key-pair to expire, how can I terminate this client's access to the
service?  Would it be possible to check with the CA to see if the user's
signed certificate was revoked?

Richard Wareing
Reimer Technology Group

---

RE: Server Side - Sender Encryption Question

Posted by Richard Wareing <wa...@rewc.com>.
Hi Abhijit,

So I got the signing and encryption working bi-directionally with the
use of my own Certificate Authority (FYI a link on how to do this:
http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/10185/1763/page/1).  Using the method
suggested, I no longer need to store any certificates of the clients,
since I can now check the embedded certificates to make sure they were
signed by my CA.  And at the end of the day I now have a method of
securely authorizing a web service client to access the web service.

My one remaining question is, say I know wish to revoke access to the
web service.  Other than waiting for the web service client's signed
key-pair to expire, how can I terminate this client's access to the
service?  Would it be possible to check with the CA to see if the user's
signed certificate was revoked?

Richard Wareing
Reimer Technology Group

---

RE: Server Side - Sender Encryption Question