Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/29 13:23:58 UTC

[DISCUSS] [VOTE] Should we respin CANCELLED releases with the same version number?

Moving discussion off the vote thread

The issue with that is when using the Maven Release Plugin, you will not be
voting on the released artifacts if you call it x.y.z-RCn, so you would
need a whole new vote for x.y.z.

We could go all Eclipse nutjob and force the timestamp into every release,
e.g.

3.1.0.v20130529

But that way madness lies in my view... In any case, we will see where the
vote goes... and if there is a non-definitive answer, e.g. (-3 < ∑ binding
votes < 3) then we can see what alternatives fall out of the mix.

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Should we respin CANCELLED releases with the same version number?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 29 May 2013 20:53, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue with that is when using the Maven Release Plugin, you will not be

Can't we fix the tooling then?

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Should we respin CANCELLED releases with the same version number?

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
It seems that most people care about X.Y and X.Y.Z numbers of the
versioning scheme, not X.Y.Z.N.  To spin through version numbers without
concern during release candidates, perhaps using the 4th position, N, would
then allow continued use of the familiar X.Y and X.Y.Z references?
 Major.Minor.Point/bug.RC.  It's arbitrary precision, but maintains the
X.Y.Z format, and Z doesn't have "skipped numbers".

Posted by Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com>.
I'm totally fine with the 1.0-RC0 1.0-RC1 1.0-RC2 == 1.0 thing, in Git you
don't even have to copy anything ;-)

If you're going to do trial releases, then RCX is one good way to do it.

I've got to point out, though, that "skipped numbers" means exactly NOTHING
:-) You *always* skip numbers, by definition, every time you jump to a new
version of a greater number in the next higher slot... eg:

1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 2.0 < you missed 1.7 and 1.8, OMG :-p

Fred.

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Stephen Connolly <

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.