Posted to user@uima.apache.org by "reshu.agarwal" <re...@orkash.com> on 2015/02/10 13:06:54 UTC

DUCC- Heartbeat Packets?

Hi,

I read in DUCC book about:

Agents monitors nodes, sending heartbeat packets with node statistics to
interested components (such as the RM and web-server).

Status

    This shows the current state of a machine. Values include:

    defined
        The node is in the DUCCnodes file
        <http://192.168.10.144:52133/doc/duccbook.html#x1-23600012.6>,
        but no DUCC process has been started there, or else there is a
        communication problem and the state messages are not being
        delivered.
    up
        The node has a DUCC Agent process running on it and the web
        server is receiving regular heartbeat packets from it.
    down
        The node had a healthy DUCC Agent on it at some point in the
        past (since the last DUCC boot), but the web server has stopped
        receiving heartbeats from it.

        The agent may have been manually shut down, may have crashed, or
        there may be a communication problem.

        Additionally, very heavy loads from jobs running the the node
        can cause the DUCC Agents heartbeats to be delayed.

I have some question in my mind i.e.

1.    What are Heartbeat Packets?
2.    Are they same as defined in this url: http://250bpm.com/blog:22.
3.    How daemons broadcast a heartbeat?
4.    How Agents nodes send heartbeat packets?

As My DUCC Agents were going down again and again for a particular time
period.

5.   How can I identify Agents were going down due to network issue?

Thanks in Advanced.

Reshu.

Re: DUCC- Heartbeat Packets?

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
1.    What are Heartbeat Packets?
Ducc Agent publishes node metrics at regular intervals. The information
included is node identification, OS info, memory, etc. This is consumed by
the RM and WS. If the RM stops seeing publication from a node within a
configurable window, it will mark the node as down. Status of all nodes is
available in the Ducc Monitor.

2.    Are they same as defined in this url: http://250bpm.com/blog:22.
Nope.

3.    How daemons broadcast a heartbeat?
Agent publishes node metrics to a well known JMS topic

4.    How Agents nodes send heartbeat packets?
See #3