Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ryan Hunt <rh...@hp.com> on 2003/11/11 00:28:49 UTC

Permanent removal from the repository

I have a repository that is now over 100GB and growing very fast.
Is it possible to permanently remove/split off a branch to migrate it
to a different physical server in order to reduce the amount of space
used on each server??

Ryan Hunt

Re: Permanent removal from the repository

Posted by Files <fi...@poetryunlimited.com>.
C. Michael Pilato said:
> The only mails I've ever seen that contain more +'s and -'s than this
> one are patch submissions.

Dude,

You asked a multipart question. Didn't know if you were looking for an answer
for each. Sorry.
--
Shamim Islam
BA BS

Re: Permanent removal from the repository

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"Files" <fi...@poetryunlimited.com> writes:

> C. Michael Pilato said:
> > Actually, now that we have 'svnadmin hotcopy', am I correct in
> > assuming that we can now:
> >
> >    1.  Either destroy hot-backup.py, or make it just a wrapper around
> >        'svnadmin hotcopy' ?
>
> +1 on wrapper. -1 on removal. +1 removal after next rev. People
> might not be as savvy about svnadmin hotcopy - I know I had no clue
> it existed. Might need more input from the python people - they
> might be using it for something special.
>
> >    2.  Remove 'svnadmin list-used-dblogs' and 'svnadmin
> >        list-unused-dblogs' ?
>
> +1 - can't we reproduce this functionality using db4-utils?
>
> >    3.  Add 'svnadmin purge-dblogs'
>
> +1 from me. I would much rather have this one than the other two - I
> have to keep 'svnadmin --list-unused-dblogs|xargs -i rm {}' all the
> time. It's more idiomatic to ask the admin wrapper to just clean the
> junk than to ask it where it is. That's what the lowlevel tools are
> for, right?

Dude.

Posted by Files <fi...@poetryunlimited.com>.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"Files" <fi...@poetryunlimited.com> writes:

> Why don't we have an "svnadmin --clean-unused-logs" option?

Actually, now that we have 'svnadmin hotcopy', am I correct in
assuming that we can now:

   1.  Either destroy hot-backup.py, or make it just a wrapper around
       'svnadmin hotcopy' ?
   2.  Remove 'svnadmin list-used-dblogs' and 'svnadmin
       list-unused-dblogs' ?
   3.  Add 'svnadmin purge-dblogs' (for removing those logs it is safe
       to remove) ?

> Just curious.

Me, too.

Re: Permanent removal from the repository

Posted by Files <fi...@poetryunlimited.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Nov 10, 2003, at 10:57 PM, Robert Spier wrote:

>> I have a repository that is now over 100GB and growing very fast.
>> Is it possible to permanently remove/split off a branch to migrate it
>> to a different physical server in order to reduce the amount of space
>> used on each server??
>
> See svndumpfilter.

Yes, that's one soltion, but but first off how the heck did your
repository get to 100GB?  What are you putting in that thing?  Are you
cleaning up unused logfiles?  If not, that is a LOT of wasted space
there that you can clean up...

-garrett

Re: Permanent removal from the repository

Posted by Robert Spier <rs...@pobox.com>.
> I have a repository that is now over 100GB and growing very fast.
> Is it possible to permanently remove/split off a branch to migrate it
> to a different physical server in order to reduce the amount of space
> used on each server??

See svndumpfilter.

-R