Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Murli Varadachari <mv...@facebook.com> on 2008/10/16 18:58:41 UTC

Svn cygwin issues

I am having a weird svn problem [ only on windows ]. When I run a fresh svn checkout of  trunk, I got an error message like:

svn: Failed to add file 'emu/aux.js': object of the same name already exists

This happens when I do an svn up also on an existing workarea. The problem is limited to   my cygwin svn environment

$ svn -version

Svn, version 1.5.2 ( r32768 )

Any  help will be appreciated.

Cheers
murli

Re: Svn cygwin issues

Posted by David Rothenberger <da...@acm.org>.
On 10/21/2008 9:34 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2008, at 23:00, David Rothenberger wrote:

>> You might want to look into managed mounts for Cygwin 1.5.x. See
>> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.case-sensitive>.
>> Also, the next Cygwin release (1.7) should not have this problem. (No,
>> there is no expected release date.)
>
> Are you saying that files named "aux.*" are permitted on Windows under
> certain circumstances? What are they? I thought filenames matching
> driver names were never allowed on Windows.

No, files named "aux.*" are not allowed. A Cygwin managed mount causes
Cygwin to encode the file names in a way that works with Windows. The
downside is the real file names can only be seen through Cygwin and not
by regular Windows tools.

Once, adv.:
         Enough.

Re: Svn cygwin issues

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Svn cygwin issues

Posted by David Rothenberger <da...@acm.org>.
On 10/18/2008 1:54 PM, Toby Thain wrote:

>>> Do you have two files in that directory differing only in case?
>>
>> Actually, it is not permitted to have a file named "aux" (with any
>> extension) on Windows.

You might want to look into managed mounts for Cygwin 1.5.x. See
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.case-sensitive>.
Also, the next Cygwin release (1.7) should not have this problem. (No,
there is no expected release date.)

Problems with the Cygwin version of svn should be sent to cygwin AT
cygwin.com. I'm the maintainer of the Cygwin subversion port and I
monitor the Cygwin list more closely than users@.

Deliberation, n.:
         The act of examining one's bread to determine which side it is
         buttered on.

Re: Svn cygwin issues

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 17-Oct-08, at 7:25 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2008, at 08:37, Toby Thain wrote:
>
>>> I am having a weird svn problem [ only on windows ]. When I run a
>>> fresh svn checkout of  trunk, I got an error message like:
>>>
>>> svn: Failed to add file 'emu/aux.js': object of the same name
>>> already exists

>>> This happens when I do an svn up also on an existing workarea.
>>> The problem is limited to   my cygwin svn environment
>>
>> Do you have two files in that directory differing only in case?
>
> Actually, it is not permitted to have a file named "aux" (with any
> extension) on Windows.
>
> According to Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename

Incredible. Good to know!