Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Rabi Lahiri <ra...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/15 00:31:42 UTC

help with dynamically modifying request data

Hi,
I have a testing requirement I'm not quite sure how to fulfill. We have a
large stream of recorded HTTP requests to our service that we want to replay
to do capacity testing. We have a mix of APIs and for most of them we simply
want to replay exactly what is in the input file. However, for a few APIs,
we need to insert a corresponding service call immediately preceding the API
call and then use the response in the original request.

For example:
API insertN requires an id parameter which the client would have obtained
from API getNewN. Our recorded stream of calls has old, invalid id numbers
for all of the insert calls. If the input stream we have is like this
(assume all id numbers <100 are old and invalid):

insert1(id=10);
insert2(id=20);
insert3(id=30);

We can't replay these exactly because ids 10,20 and 30 already exist in our
database. What we need is:

getNew1; <- returns id=100
insert1(id=100); <- id 10 replaced with 100 dynamically
getNew2; <- returns id=110
insert2(id=110); <- id 20 replaced with 110
getNew3; <- returns id=120
insert3(id=120); <- id 30 replaced with 120

I think I could do this if these were the only APIs we had in our test run,
but the insert calls are intermixed with many other APIs that we want to
replay without modifying. Can I do this utilizing existing JMeter
functionality or is it likely that I'll have to modify some code?

thanks,
Rabi Lahiri