Posted to regexp-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Mo DeJong <md...@cygnus.com> on 2000/05/24 12:58:47 UTC

Another regexp package under a BSD license.

I was just reading about the Regexp 1.0 and Oro Matcher
releases so I thought I would throw another "hat" in
the ring. There is a BSD regexp implementation included
in the 1.3 version of Jacl (Tcl scripting implemented
in Java). It was actually written to replace the Oro Matcher
package which was included in Jacl was slated to be replaced
because it was not open sourced. This regexp implementation
was written by the kind folks at Sun labs. It is basically
a Java port of Henry Spencer's regexp package for Tcl.

If anyone wants to check it out, you can find the source
code in the tcljava CVS. The CVSROOT is
:pserver:cvs@cvs.scriptics.com:/cvsroot with a password
of "cvs" and a module name of "tcljava". Look in the
tcljava/src/jacl/sunlabs/brazil/util/regexp dir for
the implementation. The code is contained in just two
classes, you can't get much more "trimmed down" than
that. There is also some additional info floating
around on http:/www.scriptics.com/java in case
anyone wants to poke around.

I hope that helps.
Mo Dejong
Red Hat Inc.

Re: Another regexp package under a BSD license.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 5/24/2000 3:58 AM, Mo DeJong at mdejong@cygnus.com wrote:

> I was just reading about the Regexp 1.0 and Oro Matcher
> releases so I thought I would throw another "hat" in
> the ring. There is a BSD regexp implementation included
> in the 1.3 version of Jacl (Tcl scripting implemented
> in Java). It was actually written to replace the Oro Matcher
> package which was included in Jacl was slated to be replaced
> because it was not open sourced. This regexp implementation
> was written by the kind folks at Sun labs. It is basically
> a Java port of Henry Spencer's regexp package for Tcl.
>
> If anyone wants to check it out, you can find the source
> code in the tcljava CVS. The CVSROOT is
> :pserver:cvs@cvs.scriptics.com:/cvsroot with a password
> of "cvs" and a module name of "tcljava". Look in the
> tcljava/src/jacl/sunlabs/brazil/util/regexp dir for
> the implementation. The code is contained in just two
> classes, you can't get much more "trimmed down" than
> that. There is also some additional info floating
> around on http:/www.scriptics.com/java in case
> anyone wants to poke around.
>
> I hope that helps.
> Mo Dejong
> Red Hat Inc.

Hi Mo, it is nice to see you on this list. :-)

Thanks for the email. It turns out that the ORO stuff will become OSS under
the BSD license...in fact, it will go into the Jakarta project (as you
read).

I will add a link from the jakarta-regexp site to the TCL pages as another
alternative for another BSD regexp library. :-)

thanks,

-jon