Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Bhavesh Mistry <mi...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/11 22:21:38 UTC

[Kafka MirrorMaker] Message with Custom Partition Logic

HI Kafka Dev Team,

We have to aggregate events (count) per DC and across DCs for one of topic.
We have standard Linked-in data pipe line producers --> Local Brokers -->
MM -->  Center Brokers.

So I would like to know How MM handles messages when custom partitioning
logic is used as below and number of partition in target DC is SAME vs
 different
than the source DC  ?

If we have key based messages and custom partitioning logic ( hash(key)  %
number of partition per topic source topic)  we want to count event  similar
event by hashing to same partition and count events, and but when same
event is MM to target DC will it go to same partition even though number of
partition is different in target DC  (meaning does MM will use hash(key
message) % number of partition) ?

According to this reference, I do not have way to configure this or to
control which partitioning logic to use when MM data ?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=27846330

Thanks,

Bhavesh

Re: [Kafka MirrorMaker] Message with Custom Partition Logic

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
Bhavesh,

I'd rephrase that a little bit. The new producer absolutely does allow the
user to use any partitioning strategy. However, the mirror maker currently
does not expose that functionality and uses only hash based partitioning.

It will be helpful to understand the specific use case for allowing
pluggable partitioning strategies for mirror maker though. Could you
elaborate on that requirement?

Thanks,
Neha

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [Kafka MirrorMaker] Message with Custom Partition Logic

Posted by Bhavesh Mistry <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Neha and Guozhang,

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Bhavesh,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [Kafka MirrorMaker] Message with Custom Partition Logic

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
Bhavesh,

Posted by Bhavesh Mistry <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guozhang,