Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by César Couto <ce...@dcc.ufmg.br> on 2011/01/24 19:13:52 UTC

Do Tuscany developers use FindBugs?

Dear developers,

I am a PhD student at UFMG, Brazil and as part of my research I am
making a study  about the relevance of the warnings reported by the
FindBugs bug finding tool.

Since I am planning to use Tuscany as a subject system in my research,
I would like to know if Tuscany's developers usually run FindBugs as

part of the system  development process.

Thanks in advance,

Cesar Couto

--
http://www.decom.cefetmg.br/cesar

Re: Do Tuscany developers use FindBugs?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:13 PM, dsh <da...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Out of curiosity - Don't we have a hosted version of Sonar at the ASF?
>> That would make things easier...
>>
>> Cheers
>> Daniel
>>

> AFAIK, it's still in progress, Gav had created the VM couple weeks ago
> and others were working on getting Sonar setup. Once we have that
> available, I'm definitely moving to use that :)
>

> --
> Luciano Resende
> http://people.apache.org/~lresende
> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

I still couldn't get to the link but Mike showed me some output he had
cached. Looks interesting. Is there any of this stuff we do directly
in Eclipse through configuration or plugins?

Simon

Re: Do Tuscany developers use FindBugs?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 25/01/2011 17:38, Luciano Resende wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 5:33 AM, dsh<da...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> I would say TDD and static code analysis are complementary.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Daniel
>>

> Agree, I have been playing with Sonar, which provides various metrics
> and below you can find Tuscany 2.x (modules only) analysis.
>
> http://www.figueiredos.com:8080/sonar/project/index/195

Luciano,

That link in your email does not seem to work.  Spelling mistake?

Yours,  Mike

Re: Do Tuscany developers use FindBugs?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.
@Cesar Couto:
If I get it right (Luciano correct me if I am wrong) Sonar comes with
plug-ins for FindBugs, Checkstyle and PMD. So one could say it
aggregates commonly known static code analysis tools and thus uses
them complementary.

Proof: http://www.sonarsource.org/tag/findbugs/

Cheers
Daniel

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.
oopps s/advantage/disadvantage/ or otherwise the whole sentence does
not make much sense :)

Cheers
Daniel

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Florian MOGA <mo...@gmail.com>.
Besides static analysis tools, what do you think about starting to use a
code review tool? I've noticed https://reviews.apache.org/ but there was no
tuscany group. Is there something else available inside the ASF? Have you
used something else in the past? For me at least it would be really useful
to get feedback from the more experienced Tuscany devs. Submitting patches
through a code review tool also seems more appropriate. And why not,
checking each others code before commit can only bring benefits (as far as i
know, Rietveld [1] assigns a reviewer based on the person that made the
latest changes on most of the files, that seems useful). Thoughts?

[1] http://code.google.com/p/rietveld/ It can be installed on AppEngine if
we want a tuscany dedicated instance.

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Mike Edwards
<mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/01/2011 18:13, César Couto wrote:
>>
>> Dear developers,
>>
>> I am a PhD student at UFMG, Brazil and as part of my research I am
>> making a study  about the relevance of the warnings reported by the
>> FindBugs bug finding tool.
>>
>> Since I am planning to use Tuscany as a subject system in my research,
>> I would like to know if Tuscany's developers usually run FindBugs as
>>
>> part of the system  development process.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Cesar Couto
>>
>> --
>> http://www.decom.cefetmg.br/cesar
>
> Cesar,
>
> Thinking about this further, I would like to point out that many of us use
> Eclipse when building and testing the code for Tuscany.
>
> Many of the basic static analysis items are dealt with by the code assist
> feature of Eclipse - and many of us rely on that without even thinking about
> it.
>
> Perhaps rather than having a separate tool like FindBugs it would be more
> interesting to investigate the possibility of extending the checking that
> Eclipse performs - Eclipse already does check some of the things that
> FindBugs checks, but not all of them.  It would be far preferable to us
> Eclipse users to have static check done as we edit...then you absorb things
> without even thinking about them, which is often the most effective way.
>

> Yours,  Mike.

Touche! I found this page...

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.