Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Noah Sheppard <nl...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/10 20:57:09 UTC

[users@httpd] [mod_fcgid] automatic restart of modified scripts

Hi all,

I've set up mod_fcgid on two of my servers (one running gentoo, the
other RHEL5). From what I can tell, the original mod_fastcgi had a
configuration option that would cause it to check the mtime of a script
each time it was requested, and restart that script if it was already
running and the mtime of the script was newer than the time the running
process was started. Based on the documentation, it appears that there
is no such option for mod_fcgid, nor a reasonable way to emulate this
functionality without also being inefficient (e.g., setting
MaxRequestsPerProcess to 1). Is this analysis correct, and if so, are
there any plans to implement such a feature? If not, is there any
chance of a patch being accepted for such a feature?

Thank you,
--
Noah Sheppard
Assistant Computer Resource Manager

Re: [users@httpd] [mod_fcgid] automatic restart of modified scripts

Posted by Noah Sheppard <nl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 04:43:58PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Noah Sheppard <nl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 04:01:19PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> >> Do you have a doc (blog, webpage, anything) reference?
> >
> > Here is a doc on mod_fastcgi itself, particularly the -autoUpdate flag for
> > FastCgiConfig: http://www.fastcgi.com/drupal/node/25#FastCgiConfig
>
> Oh, you said "mod_fastcgi" before and I didn't notice :(  mod_fastcgi
> is a different module altogether than the ASF-hosted mod_fcgid.
> (Sorry!)

No problem :). That also gave me a little confusion when I first started
setting this stuff up.

> >> As you mention that someone implemented this before, I should point
> >> out that the original author of the patch (whether a completely new
> >> patch or an ancient one) should be the one to submit the patch.
> >
> > That makes sense. If there is nobody to write that, I might consider doing
> > so and submitting it.

Given that, I'm guessing that there never was a mod_fcgid patch to provide this
functionality.  I'll pursue this through the appropriate channels and perhaps
write a patch if it's needed and I get time.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Sheppard <nl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 04:01:19PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Noah Sheppard <nl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > mod_fastcgi had a configuration option that would cause it to check
> > the mtime of a script each time it was requested, and restart that
> > script if it was already running and the mtime of the script was
> > newer than the time the running process was started.
>
> Do you have a doc (blog, webpage, anything) reference?

Here is a doc on mod_fastcgi itself, particularly the -autoUpdate flag for
FastCgiConfig: http://www.fastcgi.com/drupal/node/25#FastCgiConfig

> Perhaps this was via a third-party patch that wasn't integrated into
> mod_fcgid 2.2 mainline, which is what was donated to the ASF?

I searched the fastcgi devel mailing list for autoUpdate and didn't find any
insight into who originally wrote the functionality.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Noah Sheppard <nl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've set up mod_fcgid on two of my servers (one running gentoo, the
> other RHEL5). From what I can tell, the original mod_fastcgi had a
> configuration option that would cause it to check the mtime of a script
> each time it was requested, and restart that script if it was already
> running and the mtime of the script was newer than the time the running
> process was started.

Do you have a doc (blog, webpage, anything) reference?  Perhaps this
was via a third-party patch that wasn't integrated into mod_fcgid 2.2
mainline, which is what was donated to the ASF?

> Based on the documentation, it appears that there
> is no such option for mod_fcgid, nor a reasonable way to emulate this
> functionality without also being inefficient (e.g., setting
> MaxRequestsPerProcess to 1). Is this analysis correct,

I don't see any such capability in the code.

> and if so, are
> there any plans to implement such a feature?

none discussed so far amongst httpd developers