Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@newton.collab.net> on 2001/01/03 18:09:46 UTC

can't build tree on FreeBSD.

Actually, my build problem is probably unrelated to FreeBSD, and more
related to neon.

I did a complete cvs update of subversion and apr, and dropped in a
brand new neon 0.9.1.  I did a `gmake clean', then `./autogen.sh' and
`./configure --with-maintainer-mode --disable-shared'.  It seems that
neon was configured as well.

When I do a `gmake' from the top level, apr and neon build fine.  The
error I get is inside libsvn_ra_dav/tests/:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -I../../include -I../../../apr/include  -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -I/usr/local/include/db3  -pthread -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wshadow -Wredundant-decls -DSVN_DEBUG -DAP_DEBUG -g -Wall  -c ra-dav-test.c

gmake[4]: *** No rule to make target `../../../neon/libneon.la', needed by `ra-dav-test'.  Stop.

The problem is that libneon.la (and .libs/) now exist inside
neon/src/, not neon/.  At least for me.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Re: can't build tree on FreeBSD.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 11:50:47PM +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 03:32:45PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > It does seem prudent for us to add a version check to ensure that a person
> > has the correct version of Neon (APR doesn't publish enough info for us to
> > do this). I'll ponder on where/how we can do that.
>
> Another option is import the neon source directory into the SVN
> repository itself.

That may be something that we'll want to pursue later on. For now, with both
SVN and Neon evolving, I think it makes sense to keep them separate.

As we approach the 1.0 release, I think your suggestion makes good sense.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: can't build tree on FreeBSD.

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@light.plus.com>.
On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 03:32:45PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> It does seem prudent for us to add a version check to ensure that a person
> has the correct version of Neon (APR doesn't publish enough info for us to
> do this). I'll ponder on where/how we can do that.

Another option is import the neon source directory into the SVN
repository itself. neon has a set of autoconf macros which let you build
the source directory stand-alone pretty easily. Advantages of doing it
this way:

1) nobody has to download & unpack neon by hand after checking out SVN
 - they can't get the wrong version by mistake like Ben
 - updating to a newer version of neon is simpler

2) gets rid of a messy recursive configure
 - and the top-level svn configure script gets arguments such as
--with-ssl for configuring neon properly

3) allows building svn against an external neon library
(--with-neon=/blah) (possibly... there may be some problems with the two
copies of expat in there)

4) gets rid of some of the hackery needed to get neon+expat happy
together

I can do this if it is an acceptable change.

Regards,

joe

Re: can't build tree on FreeBSD.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 02:07:11PM -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Joe Orton <jo...@light.plus.com> writes:
>
> > The current SVN code will only work with neon 0.8.x, the build layout
> > and API have changed a bit for 0.9.x (I do have the changes for the 0.9
> > API but I don't see the need to make everyone fetch a new copy of neon
> > every time I make a new release).
>
> Sorry, I just assumed that Greg S. was always using the newest neon,
> and therefore libsvn_ra_dav would always be tuned to it.
>
> I switched to neon 0.8.1, and everything builds fine now.  :)

The correct version of Neon is always listed in autogen.sh. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

I might update us to 0.9, but need to look at what Joe did first.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@newton.collab.net>.

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@light.plus.com>.