Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by "Brizic Michael (Nokia-LC/Chicago)" <mi...@nokia.com> on 2012/10/24 16:53:28 UTC

Restarting on Fedora

Seemingly, I installed CouchDB successfully on Fedora17 (64-bit), using these instructions: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Fedora17 , however, I had to use sudo because the application failed to create the couchdb user.  So the owner of all couchdb directories/files is root.

But, I was able to start couchdb without a problem, running as root.

However, after restarting the machine, and attempting to run: sudo /usr/bin/couchdb, I am receiving the following error (and it fails to start):
[info] [<0.32.0>] Apache CouchDB has started on http://10.8.124.23:5984/
[error] [<0.31.0>] {error_report,<0.31.0>,
                    {<0.31.0>,crash_report,
                     [[{initial_call,
                        {application_master,init,
                         ['Argument__1','Argument__2','Argument__3',
                          'Argument__4']}},
                       {pid,<0.31.0>},
                       {registered_name,[]},
                       {error_info,
                        {exit,
                         {bad_return,
                          {{couch_app,start,
                            [normal,
                             ["/etc/couchdb/default.ini",
                              "/etc/couchdb/local.ini"]]},
                           {'EXIT',
                            {{badmatch,{error,enoent}},
                             [{couch_server_sup,start_server,1,
                               [{file,"couch_server_sup.erl"},{line,138}]},
                              {application_master,start_it_old,4,
                               [{file,"application_master.erl"},
                                {line,274}]}]}}}},
                         [{application_master,init,4,
                           [{file,"application_master.erl"},{line,138}]},
                          {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,
                           [{file,"proc_lib.erl"},{line,227}]}]}},
                       {ancestors,[<0.30.0>]},
                       {messages,[{'EXIT',<0.32.0>,normal}]},
                       {links,[<0.30.0>,<0.7.0>]},
                       {dictionary,[]},
                       {trap_exit,true},
                       {status,running},
                       {heap_size,610},
                       {stack_size,24},
                       {reductions,100}],
                      []]}}

=CRASH REPORT==== 24-Oct-2012::09:50:49 ===
  crasher:
    initial call: application_master:init/4
    pid: <0.31.0>
    registered_name: []
    exception exit: {bad_return,
                        {{couch_app,start,
                             [normal,
                              ["/etc/couchdb/default.ini",
                               "/etc/couchdb/local.ini"]]},
                         {'EXIT',
                             {{badmatch,{error,enoent}},
                              [{couch_server_sup,start_server,1,
                                   [{file,"couch_server_sup.erl"},{line,138}]},
                               {application_master,start_it_old,4,
                                   [{file,"application_master.erl"},
                                    {line,274}]}]}}}}
      in function  application_master:init/4 (application_master.erl, line 138)
    ancestors: [<0.30.0>]
    messages: [{'EXIT',<0.32.0>,normal}]
    links: [<0.30.0>,<0.7.0>]
    dictionary: []
    trap_exit: true
    status: running
    heap_size: 610
    stack_size: 24
    reductions: 100
  neighbours:

=INFO REPORT==== 24-Oct-2012::09:50:49 ===
    application: couch
    exited: {bad_return,
                {{couch_app,start,
                     [normal,
                      ["/etc/couchdb/default.ini","/etc/couchdb/local.ini"]]},
                 {'EXIT',
                     {{badmatch,{error,enoent}},
                      [{couch_server_sup,start_server,1,
                           [{file,"couch_server_sup.erl"},{line,138}]},
                       {application_master,start_it_old,4,
                           [{file,"application_master.erl"},{line,274}]}]}}}}
    type: temporary
[info] [<0.97.0>] Stopping all ongoing replications because the replicator database was deleted or changed

I researched the MarkMail for anything related to this problem, including perhaps not having the correct permissions, and this is the best I could find:

the key part is "enoent" = file or directory not found.
Most possible causes are; the var/run/ var/log/couchdb/ var/lib/couchdb/ dirs don't exist, or ditto for local.ini default.ini  ,for some reason are not available.

Yup, the directory /opt/local/var/run/couchdb/ didn't exist. I created that directory and was able to start CouchDB without it crashing. Either a recent upgrade deleted that directory or the upgrade changed the value of uri_file in default.ini (more likely).

So I check the above and find that /var/run/couchdb directory does not exist.  Is this the problem ??

Also, what is the couchdb.uri file, and why is that directory missing after I restarted the machine?

I would appreciate any other feedback regarding why I cannot restart easily.

Thanks,
Mike Brizic

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.