Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Lu Weizheng <lu...@hotmail.com> on 2020/03/01 09:48:45 UTC

Get Tumbling Window Top-K using SQL

Hi,

I find a question on StackOverflow(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49191326/flink-stream-sql-order-by) about how to get Top-K using Flink SQL, it was written by Fabian. It was backed in 2018.
The main idea is using a RANK to get the Top K of filed 'a':

SELECT a, b, c
FROM (
  SELECT
    a, b, c,
    RANK() OVER (ORDER BY a PARTITION BY CEIL(t TO MINUTE) BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND CURRENT ROW) as rank
  FROM yourTable)
WHERE rank <= 10

is there better way to get tumbling window Top-K item now?

And the wiki on dynamic table may need to update. https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.10/dev/table/streaming/dynamic_tables.html

In the above wiki, I don't know why the query has a field 'lastLogin'

SELECT user, RANK() OVER (ORDER BY lastLogin)
FROM (
  SELECT user, MAX(cTime) AS lastAction FROM clicks GROUP BY user
);

Thanks!

Re: Get Tumbling Window Top-K using SQL

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.
Hi Weizheng,

You are right. You can use the TopN feature in blink planner. But note that
it doesn't support tumbling window topn, it is a topn without windowing and
event-time.
But you can achieve it by PARTITIONED BY <time-window>, the <time-window>
column could be a preprocessed column which represents which window does
this row belongs to, e.g. 1-hour windowing: "2020-03-02 10:00", "2020-03-02
11:00".

The tumbling window topn will be natively supported in the future.

Best,
Jark

回复: Get Tumbling Window Top-K using SQL

Posted by Lu Weizheng <lu...@hotmail.com>.