Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Wouter Cloetens <wc...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 2000/09/07 13:26:26 UTC

Re: Callbacks and SOAP

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000 18:08:30 +0100, Telmo Sá wrote:

>How can i achive callbacks using soap

That's going to be a bit tricky over an HTTP protocol. You could
- poll to check if data is available (bah!)
- setup an HTTP server at the client side and wait for the server to
send you SOAP requests like a normal client would do. You could provide
the URL on which you request a callback in a prior call.

Or you could go to an asynchronous messaging protocol such as SMTP or
message-oriented middleware. I have a type of callback working fine
here under MQSeries. The next version of Java Apache-SOAP should be
more messaging-oriented than the current version (which very much
adheres to the RPC paradigm), so this will require less intensive
hacking in the future...

bfn, Wouter
--
http://www.workspot.net/~zombie/soap/
My opinions are irrelevant. They will be assimilated by my employer.