Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Dong, Yanrui" <Ya...@t-systems.com> on 2007/03/19 12:13:09 UTC

AW: How can I get files locked as default

Hello,

I want to use SVN for many configuration-files in excel-format. We want to have that every time only one person is allowed to make changes on it. How cab I set the files locked as default, so that SVN allowed me only to read it, if somebody is making changes on it?

Thanks for your answer in advance.

Freundliche Grüße

Dr. Yanrui Dong

T-Systems Enterprise Service GmbH
Service Unit Systems Integration

ADF Production Line CCS
Production Center Billing Systems
Otto-Röhm-Str. 71C, 64293 Darmstadt
+49  6151 886-819 (Tel.)
+49  6151 886-5353 (Fax)
+49 171 5666632 (Mobile)
E-mail: yanrui.dong@t-systems.com <ma...@t-systems.com>
Internet: http://www.t-systems.com <http://www.t-systems.com/>

Re: How can I get files locked as default

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 20, 2007, at 09:20, Miller, Eric wrote:

>>> I want to use SVN for many configuration-files in excel-format. We
>>> want to have that every time only one person is allowed to make
>>> changes on it. How cab I set the files locked as default, so that
>>> SVN allowed me only to read it, if somebody is making changes on it?
>>
>> Hi. You can configure the client to automatically add the svn:needs-
>> lock property to files with a certain extension (like .xls). The
>> feautre is called auto-props (automatic properties) and is described
>> in further detail in the book at http://svnbook.org as is locking.
>> The file you want to edit is ~/.subversion/config (on Unix-like
>> machines, anyway; on Windows the file is elsewhere).
>>
>> Since this is a client-side setting, it is up to each user to
>> configure their system this way. To ensure that they do, you can
>> write a pre-commit hook which would reject the commit of any .xls
>> file which did not have the svn:needs-lock property.
>
> You can also specify --config-dir and point to a common config file.
>
> You can just write a simple wrapper or alias around the svn client to
> always use that config file.

Ok, but writing an appropriate pre-commit hook is still a good idea,
to catch those who have forgotten to use this wrapper. (Perhaps
someone just reinstalled their machine and forgot to install the
wrapper.)

RE: How can I get files locked as default

Posted by "Miller, Eric" <Er...@amd.com>.
You can also specify --config-dir and point to a common config file.

You can just write a simple wrapper or alias around the svn client to
always use that config file.

Eric

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.