Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matthew Smith <ch...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/22 19:37:05 UTC

copying one url over another

I am trying to overwrite one tag in the repository with another. This
is the command I tried:
svn copy https://(server)/svn/(program name)/tags/mr-07-22-08
https://(server)/svn/(program name)/tags/production

The mr-07-22-08 tag has the latest version of the source code. I need
to overwrite/update the /tags/production with all the files from
/tags/mr-07-22-08

When I run the above command, however, I just get a new directory
under tags/production/ named mr-07-22-08.

How do I accomplish what I am trying to do?

Re: copying one url over another

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 22, 2008, at 14:45, Paul Koning wrote:

>  Matthew> I am trying to overwrite one tag in the repository with
>  Matthew> another. This is the command I tried: svn copy
>  Matthew> https://(server)/svn/(program name)/tags/mr-07-22-08
>  Matthew> https://(server)/svn/(program name)/tags/production
>
>  Matthew> The mr-07-22-08 tag has the latest version of the source
>  Matthew> code. I need to overwrite/update the /tags/production with
>  Matthew> all the files from /tags/mr-07-22-08
>
>  Matthew> When I run the above command, however, I just get a new
>  Matthew> directory under tags/production/ named mr-07-22-08.
>
>  Matthew> How do I accomplish what I am trying to do?
>
> Delete the old tag, then copy the new one.
>
> This is annoying -- I sure would like there to be a way to do this in
> one step.

I think svnmucc can do that in one step.

svnmucc lets you "Combine a list of mv, cp and rm commands on URLs
into a single commit."

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svnmucc/

Re: copying one url over another

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

 Matthew> I am trying to overwrite one tag in the repository with
 Matthew> another. This is the command I tried: svn copy
 Matthew> https://(server)/svn/(program name)/tags/mr-07-22-08
 Matthew> https://(server)/svn/(program name)/tags/production

 Matthew> The mr-07-22-08 tag has the latest version of the source
 Matthew> code. I need to overwrite/update the /tags/production with
 Matthew> all the files from /tags/mr-07-22-08

 Matthew> When I run the above command, however, I just get a new
 Matthew> directory under tags/production/ named mr-07-22-08.

 Matthew> How do I accomplish what I am trying to do?

Delete the old tag, then copy the new one.

This is annoying -- I sure would like there to be a way to do this in
one step.

    paul