Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by up...@3.am on 2005/02/04 22:49:00 UTC

SA being overwhelmed?

Since upgrading to 3.02 from 2.63 and tweaking some rules, I've had
problems with smtp connections skyrocketing at times.  I have raised the
limit (qmail-smtpd with tcpserver) to 400 connections so there would
always be an smtp connection available for legitimate relaying, but it
occasionally hits that, even though I've since implemented a patch to
tcpserver to limit external connections to 2 per IP at a time.

When it does hit this limit, a bunch of spam gets through with no markup
in the headers at all.  I assume spamd simply gets overloaded (I have it
set to 15 children max to try to accomodate this huge load) and some spam
"spills out" unscanned.

If somebody has a pointer on how to best accomodate this, I'd appreciate
it.

up@3.am							    http://3.am

Re: SA being overwhelmed?

Posted by up...@3.am.
This is strange...you're quoting me, and the subject of an email I posted,
but the body of the message is somebody else's...I don't even run postfix,
I run qmail.

In any case, I seem to have alleviated the inundation for now.  I was
running rblsmtpd against sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, but I hadn't patched it to
recognize A records, only the default TXT.  As soon as I applied the patch
and restarted tcpserver, most of the spam is now refused before SA has to
even deal with it.

A godsend!

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Thomas Arend wrote:

up@3.am							    http://3.am