Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@minotaur.apache.org> on 2005/08/05 04:18:29 UTC

[VOTE] Deprecate Redundant Taglibs

This has been discussed before, but its time for some book-keeping. I
would like to call a VOTE for declaring the following Taglibs as
deprecated. The reasons, in each case, are (probably in the order of
importance):

1) Much of the functionality provided by these Taglibs is now available
via JSTL
2) There are no immediate plans (that I am aware of) for any dev activity
for these Taglibs projects
3) There has been little dev activity for these Taglibs projects over the
last year

For the votes that pass, the respective Taglibs will be listed as
deprecated on the Taglibs website. Ofcourse, the versioned releases will
continue to be available, but there will be no nightlies (Glenn has
already removed these from the nightlies last week).

VOTE (A) - Application Taglib:
[ ] +1 - Yes, please deprecate
[ ] +0 - I'm OK with this
[ ] -0 - Maybe we shouldn't (please specify reasons)
[ ] -1 - We definitely shouldn't (please specify reasons)

VOTE (B) - DBTags Taglib:
[ ] +1 - Yes, please deprecate
[ ] +0 - I'm OK with this
[ ] -0 - Maybe we shouldn't (please specify reasons)
[ ] -1 - We definitely shouldn't (please specify reasons)

VOTE (C) - Page Taglib:
[ ] +1 - Yes, please deprecate
[ ] +0 - I'm OK with this
[ ] -0 - Maybe we shouldn't (please specify reasons)
[ ] -1 - We definitely shouldn't (please specify reasons)

VOTE (D) - Request Taglib:
[ ] +1 - Yes, please deprecate
[ ] +0 - I'm OK with this
[ ] -0 - Maybe we shouldn't (please specify reasons)
[ ] -1 - We definitely shouldn't (please specify reasons)

VOTE (E) - Response Taglib:
[ ] +1 - Yes, please deprecate
[ ] +0 - I'm OK with this
[ ] -0 - Maybe we shouldn't (please specify reasons)
[ ] -1 - We definitely shouldn't (please specify reasons)

VOTE (F) - Session Taglib:
[ ] +1 - Yes, please deprecate
[ ] +0 - I'm OK with this
[ ] -0 - Maybe we shouldn't (please specify reasons)
[ ] -1 - We definitely shouldn't (please specify reasons)

I'm +1 to deprecating all six. Not to take anything away from the utility
they provided in their heyday.

-Rahul

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate Redundant Taglibs

Posted by Stu Robertson <sr...@nvisia.com>.
+1 on all six.

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.
Rahul Akolkar wrote:

> I'm +1 to deprecating all six. Not to take anything away from the
> utility they provided in their heyday.

Me too (+1 for deprecating all six). Eventually, we could move what's
still useful on them (i.e., features that are not available elsewhere)
to the Unstandard or other taglib - but for now let's just deprecate them...

-- Felipe

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate Redundant Taglibs

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
+6 (one each ;).

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
+1 for all

--
Kris Schneider <ma...@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate Redundant Taglibs

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
+1 to all of the below.

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

[RESULT][VOTE] Deprecate Redundant Taglibs

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
These VOTEs have run for a couple of weeks, I haven't seen any objections.
All six VOTEs have passed. Since the results are identical I will list
them once. Let me know if I need to list them separately. I plan to make
some of the associated website changes over the weekend.

On the VOTEs for deprecation of -

VOTE (A) - Application Taglib
VOTE (B) - DBTags Taglib
VOTE (C) - Page Taglib
VOTE (D) - Request Taglib
VOTE (E) - Response Taglib
VOTE (F) - Session Taglib

Each has passed with the following identical result (in order I received
them via the list):

<BINDING>
Rahul Akolkar        +1
Glenn Nielsen        +1