Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Christian Kruggel <ja...@wispa.de> on 2007/01/05 18:03:48 UTC

HttpClient is logging on INFO-level - how to change to ERROR?

Hi list,

I use HttpClient 2.0 that - according to the documentation - depends on
commons-logging-1.1 which I installed and added to CLASSPATH. Actually I
fail to change the log-level and got stuck with the search, where I can
change from INFO to ERROR.

My first glance in the logging-documentation made me try two different
lines. The first does have no effect on the HttpClient (it still is
logging on INFO-level) and the second line seems to confuse the
logging-factory.

System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.defaultlog", "error");

// no effect, still getting messages such as
//
// 05.01.2007 17:40:45 org.apache.commons.httpclient.auth.AuthChallengeProcessor selectAuthScheme
// INFO: basic authentication scheme selected

System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.Log", "error");

// crashes a few lines later
//
// java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
//         at HttpPasswordTester.main(HttpPasswordTester.java:23)
// Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: User-specified log class 'error' cannot be found or is not useable.
//         at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.discoverLogImplementation(LogFactoryImpl.java:798)
//         at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:601)
//         at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:333)
//         at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:307)
//         at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:645)
//         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.<clinit>(HttpClient.java:65)
//         ... 1 more

Can anybody tell me where or even how I can change the log-level for the
HttpClient?

Best regards,

Christian

Re[2]: HttpClient is logging on INFO-level - how to change to ERROR?

Posted by Christian Kruggel <ja...@wispa.de>.
Hello Dennis!

DL> This looks like JDK 1.4 logging to me.

In deed, it was.

DL> If you want to use SimpleLog add this system property:
DL>    org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog

Marvellous, this property did the trick. Thanks a lot!

Christian

Re: HttpClient is logging on INFO-level - how to change to ERROR?

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Christian Kruggel wrote:
> Hey Christian,
>
> CH> Which implementation do you use for the actual logging?
>
> To be honest: I do not have any idea. Since I did not specify a
> particular implementation I do assume that SimpleLog is used. But if so,
> these both lines should affect logging:
>
> System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.defaultlog", "fatal");
> System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showlogname", "true");
>
> Though there shoud be some change in the log-behaviour (according to the
> manual you suggested
> [http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/commons-logging-1.1/guide.html#A_Quick_Guide_To_Simple_Log])
> I still recieve the following log-messages:
>
> 06.01.2007 13:37:04 org.apache.commons.httpclient.auth.AuthChallengeProcessor selectAuthScheme
> INFO: basic authentication scheme selected

This looks like JDK 1.4 logging to me.

> To me this means: neither the log-level has changed nor the log-name in
> displayed - if I set the properties correct (which seems undoubtedly to
> me) SimpleLog is *not* used.

If you want to use SimpleLog add this system property:
   org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog

> So an other question is: How can I determine which log-implementation
> my HttpClient actually does use?

You can see that if you turn on diagnostics logging in commons-logging.
Instructions for this can be found here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/troubleshooting.html#Using_JCL_Diagnostics

Dennis Lundberg

Re[2]: HttpClient is logging on INFO-level - how to change to ERROR?

Posted by Christian Kruggel <ja...@wispa.de>.
Hey Christian,

Posted by Christian Hufgard <ch...@gmx.de>.
Hello Christian,