Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Frank LoVecchio <fr...@isidorey.com> on 2010/09/28 20:49:44 UTC

Schema Questions?

Question regarding schema set-up and modification:  I just set up the newest
nightly build of 0.7, imported our .yaml file after starting Cassandra, and
everything is honky-dorey.  We're not sure if Pelops is capable of modifying
shema definitions, but it doesn't appear any changes we make to the .yaml
file after the initial import go through (re-importing using schematool
doesn't work). How could I change, for example, the rows_cached or name
fields below on the fly without losing data?  Is this possible?

        - name: Example
          column_type: Super
          compare_with: UTF8Type
          gc_grace_seconds: 864000
          keys_cached: 200000.0
          preload_row_cache: false
          read_repair_chance: 1.0
          rows_cached: 1.0

Frank

Re: Schema Questions?

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
That looks like an error thrown from CFMetaData, telling you it's not possible to change a Standard CF to a Super CF. Which seems logical to me, how would it move the data from a standard CF to a super CF?

You'll need to create a new Super CF and migrate the data manually.

Aaron

On 29 Sep, 2010,at 10:15 AM, Frank LoVecchio <fr...@isidorey.com> wrote:

Ok,

I tried that method in Pelops, and this is the error I get when trying to to update a Column Family Type from Standard to Super:

 InvalidRequestException(why:types do not match.)
       at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$system_update_column_family_result.read(Cassandra.java:27741)
       at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Client.recv_system_update_column_family(Cassandra.java:1579)
       at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Client.system_update_column_family(Cassandra.java:1554)

I have last night's build of Cassandra.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
There is a system_update_column_family(CDef) function on the trunk, so it will be in 0.7-beta2. Take a look at the interface/cassandra.thrift .

On 29 Sep, 2010,at 09:31 AM, Frank LoVecchio <fr...@isidorey.com> wrote:

I understand adding column family configuration fields using thrift in Pelops for system_add_column_family, and even renaming column families, but what about modifying the actual column family configuration values, e.g. read_repair_chance: 1.0 to read_repair_chance: .5 (as a poor example)?

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com> wrote:
> Question regarding schema set-up and modification:  I just set up the newest
> nightly build of 0.7, imported our .yaml file after starting Cassandra, and
> everything is honky-dorey.  We're not sure if Pelops is capable of modifying
> shema definitions, but it doesn't appear any changes we make to the .yaml
> file after the initial import go through (re-importing using schematool
> doesn't work).

Expected in 0.7 where the configuration file is essentially just an example:

  http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#no_keyspaces
  http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/LiveSchemaUpdates

> How could I change, for example, the rows_cached or name
> fields below on the fly without losing data?  Is this possible?

Check out the system_* methods at the bottom of
interface/cassandra.thrift. I believe these are in working order for
0.7

--
/ Peter Schuller

Re: Schema Questions?