Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2017/05/26 16:58:58 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Flink 1.3.0 (RC3)

Hi all,

this is the second VOTEing release candidate for Flink 1.3.0

The commit to be voted on:
760eea8a <http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flink/commit/760eea8a>
(*http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flink/commit/760eea8a
<http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flink/commit/760eea8a>*)

Branch:
release-1.3.0-rc3

The release artifacts to be voted on can be found at:
http://people.apache.org/~rmetzger/flink-1.3.0-rc3

The release artifacts are signed with the key with fingerprint D9839159:
http://www.apache.org/dist/flink/KEYS

*https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1122
<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1122>*

The vote ends on Tuesday (May 30th), 7pm CET.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Flink 1.3.0
[ ] -1 Do not release this package, because ...

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flink 1.3.0 (RC3)

Posted by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org>.
+1

Tests I did:

New features:
- Tested rescaling Kinesis Consumer + transparent shard discovery
- Tested topology changes on restore: changed chain orderings, added stateful / stateless operators, remove stateful / stateless operators
- Tested new Flink CEP features: loop states, quantifiers, NOT states, timeout handling
- Tested min / max network buffer size auto configuration

Checks on previous features / behavior:
- Kerberos authentication for Zookeeper, HDFS, Kafka, YARN
- Flink’s Kerberos authentication works nicely with MapR’s security
- Tested Flink on Mesos
- Tested backwards compatibility against Flink 1.2.1: empty 1.2 state, large 1.2 state, rescaled after the restore in 1.3
- Tested HA with YARN session mode + YARN cluster mode, works and no staged files dangling
- Ran random simple jobs with Kafka as source and sink + checkpoint in standalone / YARN session / per-job YARN

On 30 May 2017 at 11:39:14 AM, Aljoscha Krettek (aljoscha@apache.org) wrote:

+1

I did:
- manually check the release using the new end-to-end tests: https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/3911 <https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/3911>.
- verify that the source builds
- Check the (transitive) dependencies of flink-dist compared to 1.2.x. The new deps are: com.squareup.okio (ASL), com.squareup.okhttp3 (ASL) (due to shading this does not catch all dependencies, though)

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Stefan Richter <s....@data-artisans.com>.
Hi,

officially, we currently do not want to support rescaling from (incremental) checkpoints, but only from savepoints. For this reason, I would not consider this a blocking issue.

Unofficially, I think we are not too far away from supporting this, but there is a question mark behind the efficiency. The procedure will involve redundant data shuffling and reconstruction efforts because incremental checkpoints cannot track key-groups.

Best,
Stefan

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
+1 to release:

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Posted by Shaoxuan Wang <ws...@gmail.com>.
Hi Robert.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hi Timo,

I agree that not having the documentation available for the new features is
not good.
I'll do a pass over all the open documentation PRs and try to merge as many
as possible. If I have the feeling, that we have enough docs, I'll release
1.3.0.
For the table API, I can put a note into the release announcement.

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Richter <s....@data-artisans.com>.

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Kostas Kloudas <k....@data-artisans.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
I agree with Robert that this could be fixed in a bugfix release, but
I really don't like immediately starting a new 1.3.1 vote a day after
the 1.3.0 vote ends. I think it potentially gives a bad/sloppy
impression to our users.

Therefore, I lean towards cancelling this RC and creating a new one
with the fixes included. If there are no objections, I would reduce
the voting time to 48 hours (Fri assuming that a new RC is created
today) instead of 72 -or- keeping it at 72 and counting the weekend.

Best,

Ufuk

Posted by Nico Kruber <ni...@data-artisans.com>.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Moreover it looks to me as if FLINK-6780 can be fixed without touching the
API, i.e., it can be fixed in 1.3.1.
Haohui, do you think that's correct?

Thanks, Fabian

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.