Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Chris Butler <cb...@mateso.com> on 2003/02/04 22:22:53 UTC

xdoclet/ejbdoclet plugin jboss tags, jboss client jars

Heya folks,

I'm a relative newbie to maven and have been scouting the ibiblio site
for the following jars
that are necessary to some ejb client testing... w/JBoss 3.2.0RC1

jboss-client.jar

jbossx.jar

jnet.jar

jnp-client.jar

1.	How do folks go about handling jboss client jars?  Should they
really be dependencies in maven
	when all I really need them for is the junit tests?  I know the
jboss client jars could be considered
	deployment specific and I could "softcode" them as a local
dependency via an env var ($JBOSS_HOME/client),
	but still one would think that having a few more jboss jars at
ibiblio could be useful.  Or am I just missing them?

	However, I don't really know if there's a policy doc on what is
allowed out there on ibiblio/maven.
	If so, send me the URL for reference...

2.	XDoclet/Ejbdoclet:  Noticed problems getting the proper
generation of files here.  Some things
	worked, but not everything.  Particularly I was having problems
with the generation of the descriptor
	files and the jboss tags... Also properties in build.properties
sometimes didn't seem to be
	picked up...  In the end, I resorted to writing my own ant
taskdef within maven (saw that a bunch
	of folks had done that).  I *believe* that xdoclet folks write
the jelly for this plugin, but I'd at least
	like confirmation that I'm not the only one having this problem.

	My env:
	- JBoss 3.2.0RC1
	- Maven 1.0-beta-7
	- XDoclet 1.2b2

	My hunch - that the next XDoclet plugin release will resolve
this issue.  The jelly just doesn't
	seem to be handling the dynamic subs properly - however, I'm
also a jelly newbie and the
	jelly in this particular plugin is significantly harder to read
than the others...

	I'd give the details on all the things I tried w/this plugin,
but it's just too many to enumerate
	and I have the ant taskdef working properly.

thanks in advance - maven is a great tool from my first looks at it.
Kudos to maven folks!

Chris

Re: xdoclet/ejbdoclet plugin jboss tags, jboss client jars

Posted by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com>.
You may want to consider having two remote repository settings (iBiblio
plus your own 'local remote', which is based out of CVS or something
like that), where you put jars which are not really needed by enough
people to merit going on iBiblio, or can't make it up there for whatever
reason. This can be a file link. So for example, in my
project.properties files I use:
-----
# override remote repo since we want to also point to a cvs based remote
repo
# to get some jars not found at ibiblio
maven.repo.remote=http://www.ibiblio.com/maven/,file:${basedir}/../../shared/repository
-----

I am using a location relative to the project's basedir here, but you
should also be able to use a value defined in user user directtory via a
properties file there, etc.

As for whether the jboss client jars are really dependencies, sure,
although they obviously never need to be packaged up with things like
.ear files, so you would not mark them as such for the purposes of the
ear plugin, for example...