Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/07 16:19:01 UTC

Encouraging Diversity Update 5

Hi Everyone

Another brief update for you

*Women in Big Data*
The WIBD group have asked for a speaker to present to their members in San Francisco. Kathy Saunders volunteered (thanks Kathy) and I understand that the plan is to initially do an \u201cIntroduction to the ASF\u201d presentation in Silicon Valley and if that goes well repeat the presentation in San Francisco.

As soon as I have any more information I will share it here.

*Hackbright Academy*
After the webinar in July, Hackbright asked if the ASF could do a live presentation in San Francisco to their students and graduates. Luciano Resende volunteered to help out (thanks Luciano). They are looking at the week of the 17th October and and I've connected Luciano with my Hackbright contact so look forward to an update from them.

*Draft Committer Survey*
A couple of people (thanks Marvin and Joan!) have reviewed my initial draft survey and have given me some constructive feedback. I'm going to incorporate some of these new suggestions and then will ask for some feedback from the ASF members before sending it out.

*General Diversity Approach and Strategy*
I've begun working on updating the wiki page with the ideas and feedback I received from Joan and Jan. (thanks to both of you)

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Diversity+Strategy+Ideas

This is more simplified than my original draft and I hope easier to understand. I think we can see more clearly what things the ASF already has in place and where there could be some potential opportunities. I'll continue to work on this to fill in more details.

As usual I'm happy to get any feedback, ideas and comments.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: Encouraging Diversity Update 5

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Sharan,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Diversity+Strategy+Ideas

I don't have time to help at the moment but just wanted to note that
it's great to have a team looking at those topics.

-Bertrand