Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be> on 2008/03/01 13:21:43 UTC

FTPClient.listFiles() returns 0 files when files exist

L.S.

Last night, our FTP polling component just stopped receiving files.  Looking
into the problem, I discovered that the FTPClient.listFiles() returns an
array of length 0, even if there are files on the FTP server.  touch'ing the
files on the FTP server got things moving again, but I was doing a network
trace (using WireShark -- attaching
http://www.nabble.com/file/p15773225/trace.pcap trace.pcap  with Nabble) to
determine what the difference was and I can't figure it out: the data going
over the wire always seems to contain a list of two files in both cases
(frame 12272 is the data right before the touch, 12657 is right after the
touch).

Any ideas?

Gert

P.S. To Rory: April last year, I promised you to try out the 2.0 RC snapshot
to try and resolve a problem with the FTP poller stalling after some time
(http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg18302.html).
It took me a bit longer than expected ;), but I don't think it really solves
the issue.  Would it help if we would close the FTP connection and reopen it
after e.g. 30 min instead of keeping an open connection all the time?

-----
---
Gert Vanthienen
http://www.anova.be

Re: FTPClient.listFiles() returns 0 files when files exist

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
Mark,

Thank you for the very fast reply!  I guess I should have checked the JIRA
issues myself before asking this question on the mailing list ;).

Gert

Mark Thomas-17 wrote:

> Gert Vanthienen wrote:
>> L.S.
>>
>> Last night, our FTP polling component just stopped receiving files.
>> Looking
>> into the problem, I discovered that the FTPClient.listFiles() returns an
>> array of length 0, even if there are files on the FTP server.  touch'ing
>> the
>> files on the FTP server got things moving again, but I was doing a
>> network
>> trace (using WireShark -- attaching
>> http://www.nabble.com/file/p15773225/trace.pcap trace.pcap  with Nabble)
>> determine what the difference was and I can't figure it out: the data
>> going
>> over the wire always seems to contain a list of two files in both cases
>> (frame 12272 is the data right before the touch, 12657 is right after the
>> touch).
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NET-188
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NET-190