Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Roland Carlsson <ro...@alfa-moving.se> on 2005/04/12 13:06:54 UTC

Format date in textfield

Hi!

I've got an ActionForm that holds a date. The validator checks the format of
the date perfectly and everything is great, almost. When I pre-populate the
ActionForm with a date it will only get it a default-format that is very
wrong for my needs.

How can I format the date that is going to be used in the html-form? Is the
only way to write the input-tag by hand and then use <bean:write
format="yyyy-MM-dd" />?

Thanks for your advice
Roland Carlsson

Re: Format date in textfield

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.
When an ActionForm field is used to transmit form data, the
recommendation is to use a String field and let the Action
format/parse its contents.  That's what you should do with your date
field.  Declare the field in the ActionForm to use java.lang.String,
then populate it with a formatted date in your action before the form
is shown to the user.

Hubert