Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Christopher Oliver <re...@verizon.net> on 2003/10/25 03:38:39 UTC

Re: Serializing Rhino continuations?

Hi Steve,

I don't think that approach will work very well. Although it is possible
to serialize continuations, I think it is unlikely to work in most
cases. The continuation brings in all variables accessible in its scope
- many such objects will likely not be serializable. In addition, you
must exclude built-in Rhino objects. You can accomplish this by
overriding the resolveObject() and replaceObject() methods of
ObjectInputStream and ObjectOutputStream to not serialize such objects
in the source VM and to bind them to their equivalent versions in the
target VM's instance of Rhino (see the org.mozilla.javascript.serialize
package for an example of how to do this).

Finally, serializing entire continuations is likely to very expensive.
 A proper replication architecture would only propagate state changes
between servers, not an entire copy of a state.

Regards,

Chris