Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by arian487 <ak...@tagged.com> on 2011/06/18 00:26:42 UTC

Caching queries.

I'm wondering if something like this is possible.  Lets say I want to query
5000 objects all pertaining to a specific search and I want to return the
top 100 or something and cache the rest on my solr server.  The next time I
get the same query or something with a new offset (lets say start from 101)
does it have to do the query again or can it go to cache and get the next
100?

Re: Caching queries.

Posted by arian487 <ak...@tagged.com>.
Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for!

Re: Caching queries.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <el...@elyograg.org>.
On 6/17/2011 4:26 PM, arian487 wrote:
> I'm wondering if something like this is possible.  Lets say I want to query
> 5000 objects all pertaining to a specific search and I want to return the
> top 100 or something and cache the rest on my solr server.  The next time I
> get the same query or something with a new offset (lets say start from 101)
> does it have to do the query again or can it go to cache and get the next
> 100?

In solrconfig.xml, you should have a <query> section.  In that section,
you can place a setting like the following:

<queryResultWindowSize>200</queryResultWindowSize>

This is described in the example solrconfig.xml and here:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCaching#queryResultWindowSize

Shawn

Re: Caching queries.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Well, it depends on how you've set the parameters in solrconfig.xml
for the queryResultWindowSize. Note that this size is simply
the size of a list of integers, so it's not a very expensive cache.

Best
Erick