Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Roddewig <ro...@1337net.dyndns.org> on 2003/02/03 22:20:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Port binding problems not resolved

I apologize for the word wrap settings...I use argosoft mail
server to send mail...I don't know why it did that. Anyways,
when I telnetted to the loopback address on port 80 it couldn't connect. I'm including the httpd.conf file because I don't dare print it out in this email...i'll have to see if you can get it. The default port is set at port 80 and the server is also instructed to listen on port 81 to test to see if anything was working.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache port 80 non root user

Posted by Razvan Costea-Barlutiu <cb...@laitek.com>.
>Out of interest any ideas on what the reasoning could have been
>behind installing it as non root user?

Depends on the version of Apache you are running... Some versions had
buffer-overrun problems and I believe that this is the reason why the
persons before did not wanted to have Apache run in root mode since such an
attack could grant somebody with root access on your server, a thing you
really don't want.

Regards,
--Razvan

Re: [users@httpd] Port binding problems not resolved

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Michael Roddewig wrote:

>I apologize for the word wrap settings...I use argosoft mail
>server to send mail...I don't know why it did that. Anyways,
>when I telnetted to the loopback address on port 80 it couldn't connect. I'm including the httpd.conf file because I don't dare print it out in this email...i'll have to see if you can get it. The default port is set at port 80 and the server is also instructed to listen on port 81 to test to see if anything was working.

Whoa, I'd change to a sane MTA/MUA/editor if I were you.  First two
lines wrapped, third didn't!

Also, note your attachment.  For best results, use plain text.  This is
what a text MUA sees:

Iw0KIyBCYXNlZCB1cG9uIHRoZSBOQ1NBIHNlcnZlciBjb25maWd1cmF0aW9uIGZpbGVzIG9yaWdp
bmFsbHkgYnkgUm9iIE1jQ29vbC4NCiMNCiMgVGhpcyBpcyB0aGUgbWFpbiBBcGFjaGUgc2VydmVy
IGNvbmZpZ3VyYXRpb24gZmlsZS4gIEl0IGNvbnRhaW5zIHRoZQ0KIyBjb25maWd1cmF...

I *could* read it I suppose, but it's a PITA and I'm not going to
bother.
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---

RE: [users@httpd] Port binding problems not resolved

Posted by Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com>.
You already know where your problem is.
Delete:
Port 80
And verything should work fine.

"Port" settings is the default, as soon as you add the "Listen" command,
which is a selective and more flexible type of "port", you'd have to remove
the "port" now try doing:
telnet 192.168.254.3 80 (that should connect if that's your IP address)
and then try doing:
telnet 127.0.0.1 81 (that's a loopback for your own IP and port)

when you want to access you website from within your network (192.168.x.x/24
is private address, so I guess that you are in a network) you should type:
http://localhost:81 or http://192.168.254.3

I would suggest that before you are running after the router, try solving
the "internal" problem.
If everything I said will work, then you can keep going with the router
configuration.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen

Posted by Bryan Lipscy <x4...@monroe.net>.
Delete these two lines:
Listen 192.168.254.3:80
Listen 81

Change the listening port with this line:
Port 80

Did you check your error_log file or eventvwr?

Bryan

[users@httpd] Apache port 80 non root user

Posted by Alex Moon <a....@mdx.ac.uk>.
Hope someone can help.  I have inherited the following problem.
I have to run apache under linux as a user for historical reasons
beyond my control and it cannot easily be moved until atleast
August.  I do have root access to the server but this instance of the
apache has to run as without root privileges.  Can anyone suggest
a work around (or an avenue that i can explore) that would allow me
to use port 80 and 443 on the non privilged version of apache.

I had thought i'd run another copy of apache as root user with a
redirect but then the users would simpy be directed to the
alternative port number and a significant number of users are
restricted to just port 443 and 80 by their network firewalls so i
need the non root user apache to be able to actually comunicate
on port 80.

Out of interest any ideas on what the reasoning could have been
behind installing it as non root user?
Thanks
Alex

Technical Manager