Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rahul RM Desai <ra...@aztec.soft.net> on 2000/11/27 07:35:49 UTC

Problem with tomcat

Hi all,

I am facing this unusual problem. Today, I am not able to start the Tomcat v3.1(Win NT4.0).
When I use the "tomcat run" option, I get the following exception :

D:\Installs\jakarta-tomcat\bin>tomcat run
Using classpath: d:\installs\jakarta-tomcat\classes;d:\installs\jakarta-tomcat\lib\webserver.jar;d:\installs\jakarta-tomcat\lib\jasper.jar;d:\installs\jakarta-tomcat\lib\xml.jar;d:\installs\jakarta-tomcat\lib\servlet.jar;d:\jdk1.2.2\lib\tools.jar;
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.xml.parser.Parser
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:191)
        at org.xml.sax.helpers.ParserFactory.makeParser(ParserFactory.java:124)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:191)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:143)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:163)
FATAL: configuration error
java.lang.Exception: Error creating sax parser
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:207)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:143)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:163)

When we tried importing the same com.sun.xml.parser.Parser in another test java file, It is properly compiling and executing.
Why is the tomcat failing to locate the com.sun.xml.parser.Parser(in the xml.jar file)?The xml.jar file, as you can see is set in the classpath properly.

Note :
 1. We also tried the
"java -cp d:\installs\jakarta-tomcat\lib\xml.jar -Dtomcat.home="%TOMCAT_HOME%" org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat"
option, which gave the same exception.

2. We tried a fresh Installation of tomcat, which didn't help.

3. This is happening only on my machine.This was recently affected by the navidad virus, but was cleaned.

Any help regarding this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
regards
Rahul Desai

Problem with tomcat & IIS 5.0

Posted by Wolfgang Bauer <wo...@iaik.at>.
Hi,
I am using Tomcat as a servlet engine for IIS 5.0 on win 2k. It is registered as a service and works fine.
BUT: In irregular interval the service stops.

Has anyone encountered similar problems or has any idea where to look for the error ??
Any help appreciated

Wolfgang

P.S. To map any request of the /servlet subdirectory to the servlet engine, I created a Wep-App called servlet, and in its
        web.xml file I added:

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>
            invoker
        </servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>
            /
        </url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

 Can this causes my troubles ??

P.P.S.: I am NOT using jdk 1.3

Re: Problem with tomcat

Posted by Miles Daffin <mi...@cwcom.net>.
I had a similar problem and, when I looked, the jar file containing the class you mention had been deleted. I really do not remember doing this..... it was a mystery, but easily fixed.

Miles