Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Qgh Rohgy <qu...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/04 23:40:29 UTC

Compile error while using POI API

Hi All,

I am getting some compile errors while compiling a
code on http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/hssf/how-to.html
site - under section 'Writing a new one'.

This is what I have done:-

I have included jakarta-poi-1.5.1-final-20020615.jar
in the classpath.

I have created a class called testPoi.java and cut and
pasted the sample code given on the site.

I get these errors

======
~>compile testPoi.java
c:/dev/src/com/quinstreet/members/testPoi.java:38:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : method createDataFormat  ()
location: class
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook
HSSFDataFormat df = wb.createDataFormat();
                      ^
c:/dev/src/com/quinstreet/members/testPoi.java:70:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : method getBuiltinFormat  (java.lang.String)
location: class
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFDataFormat
cs2.setDataFormat(HSSFDataFormat.getBuiltinFormat("text"));
                                ^
c:/dev/src/com/quinstreet/members/testPoi.java:79:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : variable ENCODING_UTF_16
location: class
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook
               HSSFWorkbook.ENCODING_UTF_16 );
                           ^
3 errors

====

Note that when I comment out these sections of the
code, the code compiles well.

Am just wondering whether I have missed something
while installing??

Could any one please help.

Thanks in advance,
qgh

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Re: Compile error while using POI API

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Site documentation is on the HEAD.  If you want the doc/samples for the
older release you must
get it from the release itself.

You'll find some of the features you need may not be there.