Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org> on 2010/08/14 12:27:11 UTC

XMLVirtualUserTable, JDBCVirtualUserTable and JDBCAlias mailets deprecated

Hi,

I'm trying to find my way in james user mngt and came to the conclusion
that mappings are now "buit-in" via the org.apache.james.impl.vut. classes.
Although, there are still mailets in trunk that achieve some mapping
functions. They are still mentioned of these mailets in spoolmanager.xml

<!-- This mailet redirects mail for the user 'postmaster' at any local
domain to -->
<!-- the postmaster address specified for the server. The postmaster
address -->
<!-- is required by rfc822. Do not remove this mailet unless you are
meeting -->
<!-- this requirement through other means (e.g. a
XML/JDBCVirtualUserTable mailet) -->
<mailet match="All" class="PostmasterAlias"/>

This kind of mailets may be considered as giving flexibility is the
whole processing, but I sometimes feel that they are a left-over
implementations of what existed before .vut. package. And yes, sometimes
"more is less"...
The JDBC* classes also ask much maintenance and the future for
relational database access should be JPA (or any other mapping
framework, but not native SQL via JDBC).

So should we mark XMLVirtualUserTable, JDBCVirtualUserTable and
JDBCAlias as deprecated ?

Tks,

Eric