Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Dalton, Michael D" <Mi...@nasa.gov> on 2004/01/15 18:04:55 UTC

HSQL to mySQL configuration problem - ProfileException

I am having problems converting our Jetspeed 1.4 test deployment from HSQL to mySQL - on a Win2000 server.  I've spent a week on this with no luck.  Current configuration has lots of users already set up.  I want to "move" the user database from HSQL to mySQL first.  After I figure that out I will move the PSML file system over to mySQL.  The Jetspeed docs specifically state after configuring a new database, "If you would also like to store your PSML resources in the database, see the instructions here".  This makes me believe I can use mySQL for the user database and leave the PSML in the file structure.  FIRST QUESTION - Is this true?

Anyway, here is what I have done:

- Using Jetspeed 1.4 final build (as-is war file with a couple of patches in modules)
- Running under Tomcat 4.1.
- Configured mySQL (latest stable build 4.0.17) as a Win 2000 service.  Works OK!

- Modified Torque.properties per docs:
	torque.database.default.adapter=mysql
	torque.dsfactory.default.connection.driver = org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
	torque.dsfactory.default.connection.url = jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/portal
	torque.dsfactory.default.connection.user = root
	torque.dsfactory.default.connection.password =

	QUESTION: Not sure about user and password above????

- Installed jdbc driver class files from mySQL.com into Jetspeed's WIN-INF/classes directory
	(e.g., com.mysql.jdbc.Driver)

- Create empty mySQL database called "portal" - referenced in Torque.properties.
- Copied WEB-INF/db/jetspeed.script (from HSQL) and renamed it populate-mysql.sql.

- Modified this populate-mysql.sql script to remove any HSQL specific commands and references to ID_TABLE. Also needed to add ";" at end of each line.
	QUESTION: Was this a good idea? Haven't seen this documented anywhere. Docs simply say to use the default populate-mysql script which will set up 2 users. I've tried that too with no luck.

- Use mySQL and run the turbine-mysql.sql script.  No errors!
- Use mySQL and run the populate-mysql.sql script.  No errors!

- Restart Tomcat with no problems.
- Attempt to run Jetspeed.  See below:

- PROBLEM: Error occurs as follows:
	Error processing navigation template:/html/top.vm using module: VelocityNavigation There has been an Error! Reason: org.apache.jetspeed.om.profile.ProfileException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	Stacktrace: org.apache.jetspeed.om.profile.ProfileException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.jetspeed.services.profiler.JetspeedProfilerService.fallbackProfile(JetspeedProfilerService.java:544)
	... ...

BIG QUESTION: What am I doing wrong?  Will post "exact" steps for this when I figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael Dalton
Michael.D.Dalton@nasa.gov
Internet Business Manager
Computing Systems Services Branch
Information Technology Directorate
IT-D3-A
Kennedy Space Center, FL 32899
(W) 321-861-2207 (F) 321-867-7133

Re: HSQL to mySQL configuration problem - ProfileException

Posted by Paul Mansfield <pa...@psineteurope.com>.
On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 17:04, Dalton, Michael D wrote:
> I am having problems converting our Jetspeed 1.4 test deployment from
> HSQL to mySQL - on a Win2000 server.  I've spent a week on this with no
> luck.  Current configuration has lots of users already set up.  I want
> to "move" the user database from HSQL to mySQL first.  After I figure
> that out I will move the PSML file system over to mySQL.  The Jetspeed
> docs specifically state after configuring a new database, "If you would
>  also like to store your PSML resources in the database, see the
> instructions here".  This makes me believe I can use mySQL for
> the user database and leave the PSML in the file structure.

> FIRST QUESTION - Is this true?

yes, it's true. we've done it.

some additional hints I wrote here:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PsmlMySql